The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

African Violet Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: african violet problem| Next thread: African Violet Question »
Back to Thread index
by Deborah L. on October 26, 2006 07:35 AM
I've heard that African violets bloom for a time and then rest.
How long do they rest? Months or weeks?
Also, what's this about not getting the leaves wet? Mine likes warm showers.
Does anyone have theirs in sunlight? Mine likes that too.
I think I'm doing OK, I just don't know how long the rest from blooming is.

-
 -
by DowntoEarth on October 26, 2006 09:04 AM
You might find that some will take a break between blooming, but AV's don't really have a natural rest period. Growing under lights they will continue to bloom and grow all year.The break varies.

I also wet the leaves to keep them nice and clean but let them thoroughly dry before giving them any sun, the sun helps them bloom! [thumb]
by comfrey on October 26, 2006 09:35 AM
There are so many different kinds of AV's that each one is alittle different....Some I have had bloom all the time, I had one that would bloom then look ratty and all the sudden it looked good and buds and blooms again. Light, fertilizer, soil, water, room temperature, humidity can all make a difference in how your AV grow and bloom. So there is no given on how long between blooming times.

-
 -
by Vera_M on October 27, 2006 08:40 AM
I'm with DowntoEarth,

The break varies...also if the pot is too big it could take a long time to bloom; they like it snug and the pot should 1/3 the diameter of the plant. I feed mine at every watering with Miracle Gro liquid African Violet Plant Food.
I also like to give mine a shower to keep the leaves clean, but am sure to let the leaves fully dry before putting back into sunlight. The leaf spotting occurs if the leaves are wet in bright light.

Vera
by Deborah L. on October 27, 2006 10:46 AM
Thanks all ! It's good to know that I'm doing the right stuff.
Mine's the one that has big leaves and the very purple flowers. Love that one !
Would like to find a pure white one too.

-
 -
by NewtothePot on October 27, 2006 08:03 PM
I have a quick question on African Violets. How would you propagate them? I have heard they are the easiest to propagate, but I am not sure how to do it. Thanks for any help!!
by Tonya on October 28, 2006 12:53 AM
New to the pot- I just pinch/cut a leaf off of the "mommy" plant and place it in water...it takes several months sometimes, but I have had great success that way.

Deborah, I have a white one... I will see if I can get a leaf to root and we can trade! [thumb] Deal??

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: african violet problem| Next thread: African Violet Question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: