The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Reproducing Jade Plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: reproducing a dracaena janet craig| Next thread: Requests? »
Back to Thread index
by sextus on May 30, 2004 05:09 PM
I hear everyone talking about how easy it is to reproduce jade plants, but I have yet been able to do it. I have tried the leaf method, not the stem method, for I have had leaves fall off of my gollum plants. What exactly is supposed to be done with one of these leaves. Is it supposed to be placed on top of the soil, under the soil, or stood upward and partially buried? How much should this be watered? How about lighting? What should one look for to know if the attempt is a success or failure?

TJB
by catlover on May 30, 2004 05:21 PM
Here is a page from Bill's info that might help!!!
Bill's page Jade propagation

My guess is you didn't let it form a callus before placing in the soil. [dunno] My parents had several Jade and I took a stem with leaves from it before they moved...let it callus a couple days in the shade then placed in soil...but mine are all outside. Bingo...I have a very good size Jade now that is already up to my knees and VERY full. Let us know if you have any more questions.
Catlover [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by weezie13 on May 30, 2004 05:35 PM
TJB,
Some of the leaves that fall off should just root up for you,
They just lay on top of the dirt!!!
Maybe watch your moisture???

Mine were almost like weeds, and I couldn't stop making new one's...

Can you tell us what you've been doing and maybe something there could tell us better what to tell you????? [critic]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by plants 'n pots on May 30, 2004 06:25 PM
Weezie ~ one of my cats is constantly knocking off large leaves from my jade plant and I have tried every method to get them to root, but they never do... what am I doing wrong? I've let them scar over, let them sit on top of soil, stuck them in soil... help?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Nako on May 30, 2004 07:35 PM
I'd say the best thing to do is just let there on top of the soil after they fall off. If you've watered your jade reciently, the inside area where the jade grows out of the pot should be humid enough. They won't take root right away though. A lot of the time what happens with my leaves is they sit there, and grow a lil stem and leaves first, and then it roots. If the weather is humid enough, it should root on its own.

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by sachis2112 on May 31, 2004 01:17 AM
I've never let mine form a callus before popping into soil. My thought is that, if the leaves are falling off naturally, the leaves are not healthy and that may be the reason for your lack of success. I clip small portions of stem and pop them into soil. I water weekly and, after about two weeks, the roots come.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: reproducing a dracaena janet craig| Next thread: Requests? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: