The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

please help my wandering jew

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by daisies10 on January 30, 2005 04:46 PM
I tried pinching back the ends but I'm not even sure I did it right. Right now it looks quite flat on top with many long branches. Kind of afraid to cut it back. Where exactly do I cut and how do I do it? Do I simply just cut the branch even though there's leaves all on it? Is it ok to untangle the branches or should I just leave them be? Please any information is helpful. Thanks.
by Jiffymouse on January 30, 2005 05:28 PM
cut it back hard (leave 2-3 leaves per "branch" and put the cuttings in a vase of water and you will have new plants in about a week.
by Jiffymouse on January 30, 2005 05:30 PM
i should have said, the new growth on the original plant will be thicker and healthier too...
by daisies10 on January 30, 2005 10:49 PM
By cutting back shoudld I just trim a few inches off the ends off each "branch" regardless if there's leaves on it or not? Right now it just seems that most of the leaves are at the ends and by cutting back by plant will only become more sparse.
by Jiffymouse on January 30, 2005 11:02 PM
if you cut it back to each stalk being about 3-4 inches, it will fill out fine... seems like it wouldn't but it will...
by catlover on January 30, 2005 11:24 PM
I give my wandering jews short haircuts all the time....no problem...like Jiffy said it will be all that much fuller. I started out with one little sprig of each color (green and the purple one) and now have enough to fill 4 baskets and in the ground(I live in California. Anyone who does plant them in the ground watch out for slugs and snails...they loooooove the purple wandering jew the most. [Roll Eyes]

-
 -
 -
by daisies10 on January 31, 2005 12:56 AM
Thanks alot ladies, I'll trim it and see how it goes.
by daisies10 on January 31, 2005 01:21 AM
one more thing, being that it's winter where I am will that change things or will it still grow back in a week?
by Cricket on January 31, 2005 07:05 AM
You can cut back wandering jews in the winter - they're not a fussy plant.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: