The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

purple or wandering jew

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: purple or silver| Next thread: Purple Passion »
Back to Thread index
by mamaharv50 on June 03, 2006 11:22 AM
I have a purple jew that is looking very bad.How can I bring it back to life?There is alot of dead leaves on it,but it still has alot of beautiful leaves on it.I need help!
by joclyn on June 03, 2006 04:20 PM
sounds like it was left to dry out too much or it's root bound.

what i've done when there is too much dried up leaves is to take the runners & cut them off the main plant. i strip off all the dead leaves and stick the ends in water to root them.

once there is a good root system going, i repot them.
by Jiffymouse on June 04, 2006 03:44 AM
and, if you water the plant you cut back, it will grow out fuller.
by loz on June 04, 2006 06:17 AM
Yep they do much better after a good haircut....mine always get sickly looking after a while, so then I just take it outside and cut around the edges of the pot.....

Wandering Jews are one of my favs. The first plant I ever bought! [thumb] The best thing about them is how easy they are to root in water......I love 'em! [thumb]
by plants 'n pots on June 04, 2006 06:56 AM
Great advice so far! [thumb]

I'd also like to add that mine doesn't like to be in full sun.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by mamaharv50 on June 04, 2006 07:12 AM
I added some osmacote fertilizer and some more soil,and watered well.I am hoping it will take root and grow beautiful again.I am very new at this so all the advice is very helpful and much appreciated.
by Jiffymouse on June 04, 2006 09:36 AM
osmacote is good fertilizer, the time release makes it hard to burn your plant. and lynne is right, they aren't as happy in full sun as they are in partial sun. although, with enough water, they do ok in full sun.
by JV on June 07, 2006 10:04 PM
Purple wondering jew grows wild here. I never water mine except what is on pets graves as one of the dogs loved the bloom used to smell it and roll in it. About all I do is dig it up and throw it over the fence.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by joclyn on June 14, 2006 02:56 PM
yes, the wandering jew DOES bloom!! i've had them for years and years and never saw one in bloom (didn't even know they had flowers) until i moved into my house...i keep some in the kitchen and i guess the lighting is just perfect for blooming.

very tiny & delicate white flowers! only happened one year, tho...
by Katesm80 on June 15, 2006 06:36 PM
So I just got myine looking good. They seem too be pretty tempramental. But anyways, now some thing is eating on the leaves I don't see anything on the leaves just some gnawing action. Please help me any remedies? Im new at the gardening thing.
by joclyn on June 16, 2006 04:22 AM
where is the plant located? maybe it's getting too much sun? if it's inside, do you have a cat? mine have always bit at the leaves (which isn't good - it's poisonous to cats if ingested).

if you've got it outside, there could be any number of insects or animals that might take a nibble or two.
by Katesm80 on June 16, 2006 08:51 AM
It's outside on my porch. Good bit of shade. My sister told me something about spraying dilluted dishsoap on the leaves if something is eating at your plants. Maybe I'll try that. No cat's that I know of.Thanks
by joclyn on June 16, 2006 01:19 PM
the dishsoap solution should do the job.

just a drop or two in a gallon of water should be enough.

if it's going to be chilly at night, bring it inside. you don't need to fertilize them too often either [Smile]
by loz on June 16, 2006 03:02 PM
quote:
yes, the wandering jew DOES bloom!!
One of mine flowered last year....I'd heard about it too, but never really believed it...I guess because I had them for years and years and never had one flower. It was just a teeny tiny flower but I was so excited! [Big Grin]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: purple or silver| Next thread: Purple Passion »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: