The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fern's Root ball

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: fern in question| Next thread: Ferns »
Back to Thread index
by syl726 on May 03, 2004 08:17 PM
I've been told that since the water flows straight through my Fern, that it's not getting to the root ball and I should bottom water it which I've been doing. Should I repot the plant seperating it at the rootball so it may soak in water? It hasn't grown since I've had it.
by catlover on May 03, 2004 11:12 PM
No expert here, just thought it would be helpful if you told us what kind of fern your speaking about. [dunno]
[kitty]

-
 -
 -
by lizheaemma on May 04, 2004 01:23 AM
Before you repot your plant you might want to try giving it a good soaking by submerging it to the top of the soil in a bucket or sink of water,it in water for about half an hour. When peat based soils dry out they are very hard to rewet by just pouring water in it and they let the water run right through.

Hope that that helps!
by Will Creed on May 04, 2004 03:50 AM
If your fern (probably Boston fern) is healthy and full, then it is probably quite potbound. That would explain why the water appears to run straight through. If so, you can continue to bottom water, but just make sure that it is not sitting in water constantly.

Alternatively, you can move it into a pot one inch wider or you can prune an inch or so off the outside of the rootball and put it back into the same pot with some fresh soil added.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: fern in question| Next thread: Ferns »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: