The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Palm problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Pale Tussock Moth caterpillar eats...?| Next thread: palm tree »
Back to Thread index
by ConnieL71 on April 26, 2004 04:14 PM
I have had my palm tree house plant for a little more than a year. I don't know what kind it is. Last summer, I transplanted it to a bigger pot and left it outside to get some rain. It ended up raining so much that it was too heavy for me to bring back inside until about October. It did very well last year and throughout the winter. Now, however, many of the fronds have turned brown and no new ones have opened up in several months. I water it only when it is very dry, just I like I did all winter long. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to fertilize it? I haven't done that so far. Does it need to go back outside? It's really heavy and I would prefer to avoid moving it again if I can as I have no one to help me. Also, do I need to trim off the brown fronds or leave them to fall?
by Will Creed on April 27, 2004 04:28 AM
Hi Connie,

Your palm is suffering from change in locations, especially change in light. The fronds that grew when the plant was outside are adapted to the much brighter outdoor light. After you moved it inside, those leaves gradually deteriorated because thay are no longer getting adequate light.

Without knowing what species of palm you have, I cannot recommend the best light level for it. If you want, you can post a photo or e-mail one to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com for proper ID.

The plant doesn't care if you trim off the dead fronds. However, it will look better to you, if you do.
by ConnieL71 on April 27, 2004 07:38 PM
The change in light and location is making it turn brown even though it hasn't been moved in 6 months?

I don't have a digital camera or scanner to send you a picture, but based on pictures I've looked at on the internet, I would say that it is either a Areca palm or a Cataractarum palm. Does this sound accurate?
by papito on April 27, 2004 07:55 PM
Connie,

See if you can identify your plant from the 2319 Palm Tree picures.

http://www.junglemusic.net/palmgallery.htm

or
Areca Palm trees at

or
Chamaedorea Cataractarum at

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by ConnieL71 on April 27, 2004 09:34 PM
Well, now they all look the same to me. It was a gift from a friend, but I know where it came from, so the next time I go there, I'll look and see if I can find one that is labeled. Thanks for your help!
by Will Creed on April 28, 2004 04:00 AM
Connie,

Plants often react very slowly to a change in environment. In some instances, it is already too late by the time symptoms are obvious.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pale Tussock Moth caterpillar eats...?| Next thread: palm tree »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: