The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

advice on keeping parrot impatiens bushy

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Advice on Bearded Iris| Next thread: Advice on moving a camelia? »
Back to Thread index
by turn2stone on August 27, 2006 01:11 AM
i have a parrot impatiens plant that i've made the same mistake with twice now. the parent plant is tall (18 inches or so) and spindly with flowers and leaves just at the top. a few months back, i lopped off the top portion , and grew it in soil with good results; except now that plant is too tall. what can i do to grow a smaller,leafier plant that doesnt just have growth at the top? i have a feeling im breaking a cardinal rule here that applies to growing most types of house plants. thanks !
by TulsaRose on August 27, 2006 01:24 AM
Hi and Welcome to the forums. [Wink] Your Parrot Plant, Impatiens niamniamensis, is supposed to get tall...up to 3' actually. Usually with most Impatiens, pinching out the top growth promotes bushiness. If someone else doesn't come along with some answers for you, try a Google search for Impatiens niamniamensis.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by turn2stone on August 27, 2006 05:38 AM
i have seen pictures of bushy plants, at least fuller than the spikey sticks i've been growing. my poor plants would never survive without support. perhaps i'll have to experiment and chop the top off another plant and see what happens when i leave just 4 or 5 inches of stalk. maybe this is all normal....but when i look at the plants, something sure looks wrong !!
by TulsaRose on August 27, 2006 06:57 AM
Are you growing this outdoors or inside? A lot can depend on the light conditions, watering habits, fertilizing, etc. Again, I suggest you do a Google search for information about the care of the plant.

I did find this bit...

Impatiens niamniamensis
Ht: 24"-36"
Spread: 14"
Part Shade
Annual
Soil: Moist Well Drained Soil
Likes humus rich, well drained soil. Orange-red and yellow 1" flowers produced on dark brown stems. Flowers produced all year if brought indoors and put in bright window or greenhouse. With some pinching can have a bonsai effect. If outdoors, apply balanced liquid fertilizer monthly.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by turn2stone on August 27, 2006 10:51 AM
it appears i haven't been that far off base i guess. i will do the search. thanks !
by dodge on August 27, 2006 01:02 PM
Hey some one tell me what a Parrot Imp is??

I love doubles and just rooted some.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Advice on Bearded Iris| Next thread: Advice on moving a camelia? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: