The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Indoor Palm

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by jlove on August 19, 2006 11:14 AM
I bought a miniture indoor live palm, not silk. I is subpost to grow 5' tall.The directions say keep in shade and water 2 times per week. It is looking a little shabby.Does anyone out there know much about these palms.I've always wanted a Palm tree. So this indoor one is about as close as I can get for now. We may retire at the beach, then I can have my very on palm tree!!! But in the mean time I would hate to loose this one.I was so excited when I found it. So any help I would appreciate.
Jlove
by Pekemom on August 20, 2006 03:04 AM
Hi, jlove. I live in Florida, home of the Palm Tree!! Indoor palms are finicky and not easy to keep. I would say the best advice is not to over water. And to mist the leaves three times a week. A purchase of a water meter, (shown on the jade overwater thread in cacti and succulents) would be a good investment. Indirect light. Stuff you already know, I'm sure. Careful of overwatering. I've seen some of them absolutely lush indoors, so I know it's possible. Here are some additonal hints from another forum from Ontario. Hope it's helpful.

1) These plants remained healthy when we provided them 3 hours of fluorescent light per night.

2) The roots also like to be well aereated. Therefore after watering and allowing complete drainage we do not water again until the top three inches of soil dries out.

3) Also when transplanting we have always been careful not to submerge the topmost roots with soil. I.e., the crown is allowed to easily breathe.

4) Finally, we have found it necessary to wipe the leaves (top and bottom every 2-3 months) with wet sponges to allow them to breathe and engage in photosynthesis. In the same manner that dust particles settle on furniture, they do so on the surfaces of leaves and prevent them from making food.

(BTW, I've been to Lynchburg, Va. and you live in a beautiful town!!)

-
 -  -  -  -  -
Pekemom's Gallery
by DowntoEarth on August 20, 2006 04:58 AM
I love palms, indoors or outdoor ones! I have a parlor palm and a huge Areca palm They both get indirect bright light, or dapple sun, direct sun will burn the leaves. They don't like constant wet feet, they do like semi moist soil at all times, so when the top inch feels kinda close to dry, they get a good drink.
Any water that comes out the drianage holes should be dumped out.
Light diluted feedings in the spring and summer months, none in winter.
by TomR on August 21, 2006 02:48 AM
I have a Parlor palm and it's a piece of cake to keep. I let the soil dry out between waterings and it gets bright light, little late afternoon sun.

Sounds like you're watering to much and give it brighter light.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by Pekemom on August 21, 2006 03:32 AM
Tom,

About how long average between waterings?

-
 -  -  -  -  -
Pekemom's Gallery
by TomR on September 03, 2006 12:19 AM
When the soil is nearly dry water well and deeply, let dry out again. Always water any plant until water comes out the drain holes.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: