The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What do they need?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by ProudMama on August 10, 2006 04:35 AM
I have an ivy that I bought a couple weeks ago. It's doing great so far! I was wondering when the best time to replant it is? it seems to be overgrowing the tiny pot it came in.

I also have a reiger begonia. It was one of those half dead clearance plants, but I brought it home. It's looking better, I watered it - it was VERY VERY dry. The soil looks very poor (but I don't know if it's really bad soil - can someone tell that by looking at it?) and I want to replant it. Every plant I've ever changed pots died. Is there some secret to success?

Thanks!!

God Bless,
Regina
by DowntoEarth on August 11, 2006 10:09 AM
I don't re-pot very often, but if I do, it's because the roots have taken over the pot and there is more roots than soil, or, water will run straight threw without wetting the roots properly or, the plant is no longer growing.

If something needs to re-potted, I like to tackle that in the spring, unless it's severally root-bound and needs re-potting right away to be healthy.
Otherwise, I would leave it be. Most plants like to be on the pot-bound side anyway.

As long as the soil in the begonia has good drainage and your seeing that the plan is starting to improve, I would also leave that one alone.

Sometimes those plant places put plants pots that are too big, then I would downsize so the root-ball has just an inch between the root-ball and inside of the pot.Same thing if you go up a pot size.
Perlite added to soil can help with drainage.

[Wink]
by dodge on August 27, 2006 01:08 PM
pROUD MAMMA

Be careful of the potted plants right now.. I did that on sale last year.....All of them brought in white flies in my home......Almost killed the lot of my house plants.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by dodge on August 31, 2006 01:50 PM
Transplanting,

Use miracle gro in the water you add ..
It helps control shocking from transplanting.

Dont let your roots set in the sun when you repot.
Plant the roots at the same depth they were in the old pot.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum