The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help with Jade tilting

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by chrisPlantings on April 07, 2004 10:01 PM
I transplanted 3 smaller jade plants from individual pots into a large pot. Before transplant, each was healthy and had grown to about 1 ft in height. After transplanting, there was a lot of new growth and after about 5 weeks, one of the plants bent over from the weight of the upper limbs. I supported it but now a second plant bent over, dragging the first with it. The roots are still in the soil and they seem fine. The problem seems to be that the top growth eventually makes the trunks bend over. Aren't they strong enough to stand upright? What can I do besides cutting all the top growth off?
by weezie13 on April 07, 2004 10:31 PM
ChrisPlantings,
HELLLLLLLLO from Western New York!! [wayey] [wayey]
And Welcome to The Garden Helpers Forum!!!
Glad you found us!!! I really don't have an answer for you, but I know that we have several gardeners here who can help you, just give them a bit time to make their way thru, and in the
meantime, take a look around there's lot's of good reading in the old posts here, just type in JADE, in the FORUM SEARCH and it will bring up alot of the old conversations we've had on tips and tech's for Jade's...Also, do a GARDEN SEARCH, Bill's got alot of information in the main pages on Jade's and many other house plants and their care...
we've added some new sections hobbies, crafts, and recipes... add one if you'd like to if don't see one that interests you!!!

Welcome Again!!!
Good to have another New Yorker!!!
Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Jiffymouse on April 08, 2004 03:05 AM
[wayey] hi chris [wayey] welcome to the garden helper. to answer your question, no, jades are not strong enough to support full top growth. in a natural setting, the bending over is how they self propagate. if you will notice, from the part of the trunk that bends closest to the soil, there will be fine (or not so fine) "air" roots. those are there to grow into the soil to make a "new" plant without killing the old one. good luck, and know that if you cut the tops off, the trunk will thicken up and hold more weight each time.
by Will Creed on April 17, 2004 07:19 PM
When you move several plants into one pot, it is quite common for the individual rootballs to shift slightly as the potting soil settles in.

You can leave them as is; it does them no harm and may craete an interesting look. Or you can carefully re-position the individual rootballs so that the stems are once again more upright. It takes a little practice, but it is not that hard to do once you realize that it is OK to do it.

Active Garden Forum