The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Growing Amaryllis indoors?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Warhawk on January 02, 2005 12:50 AM
Hello everyone! I'm new and have a few questions about having an amaryllis as a house plant.

I live in a dorm and the lighting coming through my window isn't exactly the best. So i was wondering if there was any type of inexpensive grow lighting I could use? Or what type of lighting would an amaryllis need?
by Nako on January 02, 2005 08:50 AM
hi there!
I grew mine under the light of a terarrium, which really isn't much light at all >.o They don't need much to grow from what i could tell with my red one. I superfertalized it accidently too, so it kinda grew a foot and a half in under 2 weeks and had 6 flowers on it >.< But ya, it will probably grow in even light as powerful as your light on ur ceiling, the window's natural light from outside, or even a desklamp [Smile]

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Warhawk on January 02, 2005 09:13 AM
Great! So they don't need any special type of lighting? They will grow under a regular incandescent lamp bulb if needed?
by Nako on January 02, 2005 09:16 AM
Woah there o.O big word! what's incandescent? *thinks* mmmmmmmmmm as long as there's a light source that you can make shadow puppets with, it'll be fine [Smile]

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by TomR on January 02, 2005 03:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Warhawk:
Great! So they don't need any special type of lighting? They will grow under a regular incandescent lamp bulb if needed?
No, get a cheap 4 foot flourescent shop light from Lowes or Home Depot. Regular flourescents are all you need. Keep the light 2-4 inches above the plant.

Incandescents don't have the right kind of light and are too hot.

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by Nako on January 02, 2005 10:59 PM
I'm pretty sure any kinda light will work. I'm currently doing an experiment where i put one in a window, one in my terarrium *3 18" flourescent lights*, one under the table *bearly any light*, and one next to the computer screen. They're all grownig about the same, except for the one in the window, which is just exploding with growth.

A general rule for me is "if you can make a shadow, its a good light for plants"

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: