The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Exciting Orchid News

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by tkhooper on July 26, 2006 09:58 AM
Guess what!

The orchid baby that was just a stem with a few roots attached has sprouted new growth. I'm so excited. I don't remember what kind this one is called because I didn't hold out much hope for it from the beginning. So I guess unless Nor takes pity on me I'll have to wait until it blooms to find out it's name. But it's alive and that is the main thing.

Now my next question is. Since it is alive should it have it's very own pot? Right now I have both of them in the same pot.

-
 -
by Tonya on July 26, 2006 10:16 AM
[clappy] [clappy] [clappy] Great news! I am so happy for ya! I have no clue about the pot situation, tho! [dunno]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Triss on July 26, 2006 11:05 AM
Cannot help you with the pot either Tammy, but I am thrilled it is growing. I know you were worried.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by shanbear on July 26, 2006 11:38 AM
Hey Tk!

I didn't know that answer to your question either so I thought I'd look it up for my own info. as well. That's when I came across this website:

Growing Orchids- "re-potting" info near the bottom of the page.

And while I came across info. I thought you'd like to know about re-potting orchids... that website, and others I looked at, gave no reference to growing orchids together. However, all gave specific reference to them needing air and room to grow. Therefore, while drawing my own conclusion to that, I would guess its best to keep them separate. Hence the re-potting information! [Big Grin] Sorry, it's been a long day! [Confused]

Take Care!
by dodge on July 26, 2006 12:05 PM
tkhooper

Mine is only one in a pot.....Bloomed for months. All the orchids I have seen, only have one plant in a pot......They do get huge leaves and blossoms....

Are they planted in moss?

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by tkhooper on July 26, 2006 12:46 PM
I got some orchid mix. It looks like a bunch of bark to be but what do I know lol.

Thanks Shanbear, I'll definitely give that website a read.

Thanks all for sharing me excitement. It always adds to the fun when there are caring people to share the joy with.

-
 -
by angelblossom on July 26, 2006 01:31 PM
[clappy] [clappy] [clappy] Happy happy joy joy

I sooo understand your excitement TK!! That is such a good feeling when a plant your were concerned with gives you with new sprouts [thumb]

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by tkhooper on July 27, 2006 12:08 AM
Your so right. I was sure they won't make it. I'd always heard that they were hard to care for. So I didn't have much hope. But two of the 4 are doing great. So I'm feeling very very fortunate. And it was one of each variety that survived which makes me all the more excited.

Today they each got their very own pot. And I can tell that the golden shower orchid has been busy making more roots so that's cool too.

One of my visiting teachers was also kind enough to share her stock of orchid food with me. So now they have everything they need.

They have rough wood stakes to play with, their special bark soil. Pots with really good drainage, humidifier trays, mist-ers and now their favorite food.

I'm so glad Nor sent these to me.

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on July 29, 2006 02:48 PM
Yay! That's awesome news. Can you share some pictures? I've always wanted an orchid, but had heard they were hard to keep. When I was in Singapore, they were always in bloom. [flower]
by tkhooper on July 30, 2006 04:03 AM
It would just be a pictured of a stick at this point. My digital camera doesn't take real detailed pictures. And then with my eyesight it's even worse. And I can't take the orchids outside to take the picture and I don't have a flash feature for taking pictures inside. But if I meet anyone with a good digital I'll ask them if they will come up and take a picture for me.

-
 -
by gardeningmomma on July 30, 2006 09:29 AM
Take some pictures when they bloom then. I'm so excited for you [Wink]
by tkhooper on August 03, 2006 09:07 AM
Thank you gardeningmomma,

I really appreciate the support. They are both still green. The little one gets more height everyday but it's measured in tiny increments. The other one hasn't grown any but it is still green so it's ok too I think. Maybe it's putting all it's strength in more roots.

I'm alittle worried with these high 90 degree temperatures. I mist every day and usually have to fill the humidity tray at least once during the day sometimes twice.

But, I don't mind. The idea of having an orchid is really exciting.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: