The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

house plant growing mushrooms

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: house plant giveaway| Next thread: House Plant Help »
Back to Thread index
by chermoni on July 25, 2006 04:57 PM
I have had a philodrendron plant that is planted in the same pot as another type of ivy but I have absolutely no idea what the 2nd one is. Anyway, I've had this plant for about 2 years now and it has been doing great, I have even started a 2nd plant off of it. I went to water the plant the other day and the drain hole started overflowing. When I took the plant down to look at it I noticed that the soil had pulled away from the side of the pot and it had mushrooms growing in it. I pulled out the mushrooms and tried pushing the soil back but the plant doesn't look as lively as it used to. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? Any advice would be much appreciated.

[dunno]

-
 -

Cheryl's Photobucket
My journal

Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.
by Jiffymouse on July 26, 2006 06:29 AM
sounds like it is root bound. if it has been in the same pot for 2 years, you can bet it is root bound. i'd take it out of the pot, gently tease the roots loose, then pot it in a pot one size (no more than 1") larger, with fresh potting soil.
by justabloomer on July 26, 2006 06:41 AM
Here's a really good site that gives info about mushrooms in houseplants: http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/feb2002.html

And, I agree with jiffymouse, it sounds like it is rootbound.

Good luck.

Charley
by chermoni on July 26, 2006 01:45 PM
Thank you very much, I'll try that. [grin]

-
 -

Cheryl's Photobucket
My journal

Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: house plant giveaway| Next thread: House Plant Help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: