The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Germinating Bells of Ireland

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: German Red Strawberry Tomato| Next thread: germinating seeds.... »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on December 24, 2005 11:40 PM
I tried googling but didn't have much success on finding any info on this one. I do know I need to stake it and that it likes well draining soil. But I still would like to know when would be the best time to plant it, if it can be planting inside and then transplanted, what soil temperature is needed and what plant depth is best or wether it should be sown on top of the soil.

-
 -
by alankhart on December 26, 2005 03:28 AM
Start seeds indoors 8 to 10 weeks before your region's last frost date. They need light to germinate, so place seeds on top of soil. They may do better if you prechill the seeds for a several days. Keep very cool (55 to 60 degrees F) until plants germinate, then give direct sun supplemented by a grow light if possible.
Plant seedlings outdoors in spring after all danger of frost has passed. Choose a site in full sun with average, well-drained soil and moderate moisture. Set plants 8 to 12 inches apart.

-
 -
 -
by tkhooper on December 26, 2005 03:56 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you Alan

I really appreciate all your help. I'm finding that several of the flowers that I wanted to grow are cool weather plants and are not going to do as well down here in Virginia as say they used to in Washington State. I guess I'll have to come up with new favorites.

-
 -
by alankhart on December 27, 2005 12:25 AM
I found that out when I started gardening years ago. Several of the plants I really liked in magazines and books turned out to be cool region plants and withered and died in our hot, humid summers. So...I had to find new favorites..and I did, of course. :-)

-
 -
 -
by tkhooper on December 27, 2005 01:22 AM
It's hard to give up old favorites. I love the chinese lanterns and the money plants and although they are weeds up north I think I'm in trouble trying to grow them down here. I've planted the seeds a couple of times without success but there seem to be numerous reasons as to why.

It's kinda like if there is a way to do it wrong...i did it lol.

But I have some seeds left so I'll probably try one more time. Maybe I'll try them indoors for a change lol.

-
 -
by Patty S on December 27, 2005 04:05 AM
Last year I tried several times to get Bells of Ireland started, & finally was so determined to accomplish it, that when we went to Montana to visit my MIL, the planter I was starting them in went with us in the Motor home! I wasn't aware at the time that they require light to germinate, but some light must have "leaked through" the thin layer of soil they were covered with, cuz they FINALLY sprouted, after about 6 weeks of babying! (This was in June, & it was NOT cool here, nor was it just warm in Montana.. it was down-right HOT!)

Our 5 year old Granddaughter was with us on that trip & helped to keep the planter wet. On our 4th day of the 8 day vacation she came in & said "Grandma, 1 of the flowers is coming up!" I answered, "Oh, really? Thats great!" Before I knew it, she had bounded out the door of the RV & returned... with the seedling in her hand, "SEE?!!"  - (Only half of the seeds I'd planted came up. The jury is still out on whether that was due to my not knowing how to get them started, or because I had too much help!)

The seed packet I have says, "Direct seed in sunny or lightly shaded garden spot once soil is warm. Scatter seed on soil surface & gently press into soil, Seed germinates slowly," Now in MY opinion, those aren't very good instructions! It does NOT specify that light is required for germination, & that makes me a little angry. I suppose that's the way they can make sure they sell a lot of seeds!  - GRRR! (Walmart brand)

Also, mine got about 15" tall (soil Ph 6.5, Full sun, HOT), but I didn't have to stake them. Any taller & I might have done that, as they leaned over just a bit.

-
 -
by tkhooper on December 27, 2005 04:18 AM
i think they are suppose to go through the cold thing too.

Well at least you had some come up so I think your doing great. Well see if anything comes up for me. I don't think so because I didn't know about the light thing. But next time if I get some more seeds I'll know.

-
 -
by Patty S on December 27, 2005 04:45 AM
Tammy, you're right... they ARE on my Stratification list. When I first found this site in October, I posted a Topic, "Jump-starting seed germination", & I copied parts of the thread for the notes I've started keeping. Here's some of what I said in that post:

Last year I waited nearly 6 months to get Bells of Ireland seeds to sprout, & almost gave up on them! Now, I read that if I'd have nicked the seeds, I could have cut that germination time by 75%! (I found 1 place online that said Bells of Ireland seeds & Clematis seeds are among those that need light to germinate, so they should be allowed to stay on top of the soil... although I can guarantee that the Bells that finally sprouted for me never saw daylight before they broke ground! [nutz] Hmmm!)

I'd like to make a list, but it would probably take up the rest of my lifetime if I were to sit down & "Google" every single flower seed, for germination info! I'm hoping that somebody here already has such a list (?) [critic]

If I remember right, Weezie put up a link to a post that had some of that type of info on it. Although the list isn't complete (are any of them? Is it even possible?), that was what I used to get my list started. I don't have that link handy, but I think if you Google the Topic, you would find it within that thread.

Right now, I'm headed for WalMart cuz you all have me wanting to find a SALE! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] (I'm also stopping at the post office to send the Nigella seeds to you.) [thumb]

-
 -
by weezie13 on December 29, 2005 11:50 AM
Yes, Tammy, the Bells require light..
and a cold time...
*put them in your frig for a few weeks..*

I'll hunt down that other info Flower posted
if I can find it...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by weezie13 on December 29, 2005 12:12 PM
Okay, try this post from Flower..
and see if it gives you some info on
them... she's got a bunch there...

Question about seed saving and swapping.....

Here's some of Bill's from his main pages....
Wildflower Seeds/Collecting, Sowing and Growing Them

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: German Red Strawberry Tomato| Next thread: germinating seeds.... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: