The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rieger Begonia

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Riegar Begonia and watering| Next thread: Rieger Begonias »
Back to Thread index
by Shell on July 11, 2006 11:06 AM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has ever grown Rieger Begonia outside in the garden or pot? I have read just about everywhere that they are house plants, and best grown inside. Can I grow it outside? If so, in shade?
by TulsaRose on July 12, 2006 09:02 AM
Shell, from what I've been reading lately, I don't think your Rieger would do well with the outside temps in Mississippi.

Copied this from a website for the care of Rieger Begonia...

"Rieger Begonia

A bright location is preferred. Avoid full sunlight but keep near a sunny window. Moderately moist soil is preferred. Water thoroughly when soil surface feels dry to the touch. Drain excess water in saucer at the base of the pot to prevent root rot and protect furniture. Moderate temperatures are ideal: 65-70°F (18-21°C) daytimes and 60-65°F (15-18°C) nights. Avoid excessively hot or cold locations. Do not mist foliage late in the day. KEY TIP FOR SUCCESS: Bright light is required for continued flowering."

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Shell on July 12, 2006 11:19 AM
Hey Rosie, thanks so much for responding! And I appreciate the info. It really does get hot here. Well I have a great spot for it in the kitchen, it will brighten my days there, instead of outside like all of my other beauties. Thank you very much!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Riegar Begonia and watering| Next thread: Rieger Begonias »
Back to Thread index