The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Recommended light

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Recommend vining plants?| Next thread: Recovering from Rita »
Back to Thread index
by syl726 on March 03, 2004 10:42 PM
I have some plants that care instructions state they prefer low or medium light. However, I've also read that most require at least 8 hours of sun a day. Wont that cause sun damage? [Mad] Should I consider that when sitting my houseplants outside during the spring and summer? Should I allow them to get 8 hours of direct sun reguardless? I work 8 hours a day; 5 days a week. If I put them out in the morning before I leave, there is no one to bring them in to keep them from getting sun burned. I've forgotten how many hours the sun stays on my porch before the shade appears [Roll Eyes] I open the blinds every mornging before I leave allowing them to receive filtered light. Or should I just wait until the weekends when I'm off from work and can just sit them out after the sun has left the porch??
by Will Creed on March 04, 2004 12:10 AM
It really depends on just which plants you have. If you post a list of plant names, I can give you more specific information.

Plant books and other sources of indoor plant information are not very precise about describing light for various plant species. For example, does "eight hours of sun" mean direct sunlight or indirect sunlight? Is that indoor or outdoor light?

In general, low and medium light plants need protection from direct sunlight, but thrive when given a full day of bright indirect light.

Most plants that have been indoors for several months have a difficult time adjusting to direct sunlight outdoors. Outdoor light is vastly more intense than indoor light. If you are moving your plants outside, move them to a shaded spot. After a month or so, those that prefer direct sun can be moved to a brighter location.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Recommend vining plants?| Next thread: Recovering from Rita »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: