The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

overwatered philodendren

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Overwatered avocdo tree| Next thread: overwatering. . . »
Back to Thread index
by talonspiritcat on February 25, 2004 06:50 PM
I like this site...I just found out that I have been overwatering my poor philodendren--i think it's a scandia--which is why the leaves have been falling off. (I also root-rotted and killed my partner's aloa vera...but that poor guy is beyond saving. Apparently our new house is not as dry as the apartment was...hence I don't need to water on a weekly basis.)

Anyway, my question is "now that I have 6 feet of green rope then 6 feet of yellow leaves and then 7 feet of lush greenery, what can I do?"

Will the vine sprout new leaves to cover up its barren stretch or should I cut the vine and reroot it where the new growth starts?

(I hate to lose my "monster" vine...I have it coiling around the dining room in 2 different directions.)

the quiet ones are the ones who change the universe...the loud ones just take the credit
by Jiffymouse on February 26, 2004 02:19 AM
[wayey] welcome to the garden helper spirit [wayey] if it were me, I would cut it in about 3 sections. i would root the new growth, but don't throw away the "monster" vine. if you cut it, it should (if the roots are healthy) sprout new growth. however, it won't sprout new leaves the entire length, only just below the cut, so cut it pretty short.
by Will Creed on February 26, 2004 02:29 AM
If overwatering is the cause of the leaf drop, then the roots are probably rotted and beyond recovery.

As Jiffy suggested, prune it all the way back to 2 -3 inch stems and start it over, I know you have a lot invested in your 19-foot philodendron, but its decline was inevitable. Unpruned vining plants eventually reach a point where they can no longer support any more leaves so they sacrifice the older leaves so they can continue to grow new ones at the ends of the vines. In fact, this may be what has happened with yours.
by talonspiritcat on February 26, 2004 08:42 PM
thanks for the help.

Now what is the best way to reroot the vine I cut off????

the quiet ones are the ones who change the universe...the loud ones just take the credit
by Will Creed on February 26, 2004 09:39 PM
Tip cuttings with 4 to 6 leaves are the easiest to root in either water or in moist potting mix that is peat-based and very porous.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Overwatered avocdo tree| Next thread: overwatering. . . »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: