The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dumb cane

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: dug irises| Next thread: Dumb Cane is wilting! »
Back to Thread index
by syl726 on February 20, 2004 10:03 PM
I had a 6 inch Dumb cane (Tropical Tiki) whose leaves started looking bad except for one and I broke it taking it out of the pot [Mad] Anyway, I cut the stalk and it has about 3 tiny nodes and LOTS of roots. What else can I do to help it spout new leaves? I'd originally posted this on the wrong heading of Mystery Plants because it's the page I was reading [dunno]
by njoynit on February 21, 2004 12:27 AM
you can root with rooting hormone

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by applescruff on February 21, 2004 04:14 AM
Actually, if you stick a cutting in a glass of water in a window it'll sprout roots, though probably not as fast as with rooting hormone.

And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.
by apples on February 21, 2004 08:23 PM
Lots of roots... is it pot bound?If so I say you put it in a bigger pot or maby carefully trim the roots down With a very sharp, sterilized knife or sissors. It should be kept evenly moist but not soggy at all. Don't let it dry out befor watering! But again don't let it stay to wet. It's kind of a picky plant. Keep it in bright indirect light. What were the conditions you had it in befor? Basicly what I can say about why it's leaves died are being in a cold temp or cold drafts cause mainly lower leaves to turn yellow and wilt(maby on the way to your place it got exposed to too much cold) [dunno] but since it was small maby all the leaves were efected. Dry air is also bad especialy for young leaves. And finally if they were turning brown/drying up then the compost was alowed to dry out to much. If it looks like I know alot it's because I'm reading it out of a book! [Wink] I'm pretty new to the plant word also and I have a dumb cane as well. I think mines a picta camilla. Also the piece of stem as already mentioned can be used as a cutting using a rooting hormone and provide bottom heat. If you already thruogh it out go get it, it's worth a shot I'd think, as long as it's still solid! Just make shure you remember which side was up. Wash it well and make a new cut.
P.S. They call it a dumb cane cause of the efect it has on the mouth and throt so don't lick it. [Big Grin] Just making shure you wash your hands after cut it!

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by apples on February 21, 2004 08:32 PM
Hey applescruff [Razz] if their was a graemlin with a fist I'd shake it! Just joking [thumb] . Good to know their's someone else on the same type of tree!! [dunno]

-
The answers will come when needed. Otherwise, I'm guesing time will make me feel silly.
by Will Creed on February 22, 2004 12:44 AM
syl,

Do I understand that you broke off the stem and have rooted it in water already and now want it to grow more leaves?

If so, move it into a pot just barely large enough to hold the roots snugly. Use a soilless, peat-based potting mix. Water thoroughly when the surface of the soil feels dry. Provide lots of bright indirect light with a few hours of direct sun - an east windowsill is best. As soon as the roots have filled the pot, then you will see a surge of new leaf growth. That is why I suggested a small pot.
by applescruff on February 23, 2004 01:50 AM
As a side note, if you're trying to root a stalk that already has a leaf or two on it it should do really well. I had to cut m dumb cane back (it got top heavy) so I stuck the cuttings in water hoping to have a little extra greenery for a few days. When they were still alive a week later, I discovered that they were growing roots.

Apples,
Don't be mad, I can't help it if I got here before you.

*smile*
applesscruff

And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.
by apples on February 23, 2004 01:08 PM
I'm not mad. You can be my sister if youd like (meening we came from the same tree) and if thiers someone on here named crabby they can be a sibling that was the runt of the batch! [Big Grin]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: dug irises| Next thread: Dumb Cane is wilting! »
Back to Thread index