The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

need some newbie help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Need some ideas!| Next thread: Need Some Suggestions, Please »
Back to Thread index
by kingbam on November 21, 2005 10:53 PM
first time doing anything with my not so green thumb. but i just took some not so great grond cover out of the fornt of my home. now there is just dirt. i wanted to reseed and put new grass. dont know how? also di in the side of the home but it has big spaces/ gaps between other landscaping plants/bushes. im trying to fill them in with other ones but i wanted maybe grown ones already. instead of waiting a yr or soo to develop. do they sell? can this be done? also putting mulch around a tree is this bad or good? someone told me red or orange mulch are bad for kids.
by hisgal2 on November 21, 2005 11:04 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum! Glad ya found us! Do you have any pictures of the planting areas that you can post for us to see??

Usually in spring, Lowes and Home Depot sell plants that have already been started. Surprisingly, it doesn't take long for these plants to fill out. Usually by the end of the summer, you have a nice looking planting area.

For the grass...do you want to seed or sod? You will need a grass that can handle the harsh winter that you can get up there. Grasses have different colors to them also, so you might want to pick a grass that will mix nicely with the grass that is at the sides of the house. That way you don't have 2 different colored grasses! [Big Grin]

I don't know much about mulch, but I'm sure someone around here does. I do know that alot of people in my area have mulch around their trees. I do know that you can't put pine mulch around a tree that is not a pine because it is posionous to other trees. My neighbor just cut down some trees and is renting a mulcher to mulch the branches and such so that he can mulch around a couple of other trees and his flower beds.

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Need some ideas!| Next thread: Need Some Suggestions, Please »
Back to Thread index