The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Starting african violets from leaves 101

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
Pages: 1 2
by barleychown on January 03, 2006 09:15 AM
For everyone who wishes to join in, I will be guiding you through the process of starting an african violet from a leaf.

Do not hesitate to ask ANY question, no matter how big or small, or how simple you may think it is...we are all here to learn, and chances are good that I will forget to mention something that I should! [Big Grin]

First off, you need to decide how many leaves you have room to start. You can do as few as one (though I seriously advise more) or as many as you dare...

Keep the following in mind when deciding on numbers.
#1. This is addictive. [grin] There is nothing quite like seeing a tiny baby AV, knowing YOU did it!
#2. I feel I have a pretty good handle on starting leaves. My odds are about 2 of 3...so for every 3 I start, due to something, be it in my control or not, I will lose 1.
#3. For every leaf that makes it, you will have at least 1 baby, and more likely 3 to 5. It's hard for me to throw away a live plant, no matter how small. How about you? [dunno]

My advise would be to start somewhere around 10 leaves. I can fit 12 leaves on a cookie sheet, to give you an idea of the size of space they take up.

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by barleychown on January 03, 2006 09:26 AM
Alright, now that we have talked about numbers, let's talk about light requirements.

When starting leaves, light is important, but not nearly as important as it is to a growing plant. Basically, you can start a leaf just about anywhere there is some light.

My first set of leaves did fine on my kitchen counter. Now I start most of mine on a rack near a north-facing window.

There is much debate over how much light is needed, but the general consensus seems to be they will root and make babies as long as there is some light, but opinions vary on whether the make babies faster with a little more light. who knows. [grin] Each leaf is different, and as long as you can find a spot that works for you, that's all that really matters. [thumb]

I do know that warmth plays a part...the ones in the main part of the house, off the kitchen, make babies much faster than the ones in an unheated spare room. Keep that in mind when selecting a spot.

Any questions yet? [dunno]

-
 -

by JV on January 03, 2006 09:32 AM
What type soil? Can we use any good potting soil or do we have to have the special AV soil and also fertilizer. Thanks
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by plants 'n pots on January 03, 2006 09:50 AM
oooooooooh - I'm so excited, Sarah! [clappy]

Just came back up from dinner and saw this post!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! [kissies]

Great explanations so far! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by barleychown on January 03, 2006 09:58 AM
Good question, Jimmy. Let me talk about pots, then I'll do dirt! [grin]

I start each leaf in it's own little pot. That way if it's gonna die, it will only take itself out, and not any others. Also, because each leaf is different, each will make babies at a different time, and they are hard enough to separate if they are alone, and much worse if they are all one big clump.

These are pots I have used in the past, or are currently using:  -

With a pen for size comparison:  -

And finally, on their side so you can see how deep they are (or in this case, are NOT):  -

The thing to think about with pots is how a leaf makes babies. First it must root, then most leaves fill the pot with roots before it gets around to making any babies. So, if you limit the size of the pot, you can limit the amount of time it takes to get to the babies!

When I started, it was cheaper to buy the condiment cups that are at the tops of the pics from wal-mart for 50 cents a cup, than it was to buy the disposable ones from a supply store, because they come in sleeves of 50-100 cups for 7 to 10 dollars. However, I now go through about a sleeve every two to three months. [nutz]

The main thing to look for in a pot is small and shallow. Lots of people use lots of things for leaves. Most popular, besides condiment cups are those plastic dixie cups for the bathroom...those disposable ones. I've also heard of people using those little plastic tubs that some resturants have for an individual serving of creamer. Just use your imagination! [thumb]

-
 -

by barleychown on January 03, 2006 10:22 AM
Alright...let's talk dirt! [Big Grin]

Fist off, you are going to need some PLAIN potting soil. None of the ones with fertilizers mixed in (like the miracle grow one!) Usually the cheaper ones like the store-brand one is one without any added fertilizers. Read those labels carefully!!!

Also, due to the tendancy of leaves to rot, (and when you are impatient like me and water too often) it REALLY helps to mix in some perlite.

I know, I know...what the heck it that???

Here's a pic:
 -

Perlite is the white stuff in most potting soils. It's super light, and very porous, so you don't drowned the poor leaves (and later, the plants!)

I mix my "dirt" half-and-half...that's half potting soil, half perlite:  -

Lots of growers have lots of recipes for their soil mix. This one works for me.

When you go to the store hunting perlite and plain potting soil, you will maore than likely see a potting soil mix labeled "african violet mix"...these mixes are fine, but still to "heavy" for my taste. I still mix them half and half with perlite. However, plain potting soil is cheaper...hence the reason I use it. [thumb]

How are we doing so far? Have I lost anyone? [dunno]

-
 -

by JV on January 03, 2006 10:23 AM
Barley I know I am full of questions sorry. Do the post need to be see through I think I have some plastic that cheese spread comes in I use to soak seeds in. I will pick your brain as I have never had these before but the ones I saw today were pretty. Usualy they are bad looking @ Wal-Mart. I use pearlite all the time. Have some potting soil mixed with compost for soil is th at ok?
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by barleychown on January 03, 2006 10:25 AM
Jimmy, great question! No, they don't have to be clear at all. I just happen to prefer clear, and they are easy to come by. Also, I can see when there are well-developed roots with clear pots, but that is by no means necessary. [grin]

-
 -

by JV on January 03, 2006 10:32 AM
Ok I will start buying more cheeze spread just needed a good excuse [thumb] [Big Grin]
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by plants 'n pots on January 03, 2006 10:52 AM
oooooooh - now I know what to do with all those single serving applesauce containers!
YIPPEE!!! [clappy]

Your pictures and explanations are WONDERFUL so far, Sarah! [thumb] [kissies]

-
 -
by JV on January 03, 2006 10:59 AM
Now I just have to get the sugargliders to eat more applesauce. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Dogs don't like it any better then I do. I gotta dig some out of the trash hope neighbors don't think I am nuttier then they know I am digging in my garbage after midnight. Dogs might even give me strange looks but then they know I am [nutz] anyway. [Big Grin]
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by barleychown on January 03, 2006 11:20 AM
Um, happy to help your reputation, Jimmy! [Big Grin]

Lynne...now that's what I'm talking about! Those containers will work wonderfully! [thumb]

-
 -

by barleychown on January 03, 2006 11:28 AM
Now, let's talk about "donor" plants. I would suggest a trip to your local wal-mart, fred meyers, home depot, lowes, ect. to pick through thier plant deptartment.

You will be looking for a healthy, happy african violet that you can take home and use as a donor for leaves to practice on.(You could also beg or borrow some leaves off of friends with violets.)This will also give you a chance to practice your growing skills with mature plants.

These are good examples of healthy mature plants:
 -

-

See how full and healthy-looking they are? Nice and green. These are good.

-
 -

by barleychown on January 03, 2006 11:33 AM
Now these are NOT good donor plants:
 -

-

These are bad because the top one have small not-happy leaves, and the bottom one - look closely at the crown ( the very middle). See the misformed and the brown? Not good signs. These can be caused by a number of things such as a simple "culture break", over fertilization, or buggies! [shocked] Buggies are bad. [Razz] AVOID plants that are not healthy!!!

As you get more advanced, you may consider "rescuing" some violets, but please avoid it for now. While you are mastering starting a leaf, you need the odds in your favor! [thumb]

-
 -

by plants 'n pots on January 03, 2006 11:49 AM
quote:
I gotta dig some out of the trash hope neighbors don't think I am nuttier then they know I am digging in my garbage after midnight.
Got a great visual of you doing that, JV!!! [Big Grin]

Sarah, what's a "culture break"?

-
 -
by barleychown on January 03, 2006 11:56 AM
Funny, I had the same mental picture. [Big Grin]

A "culture break" is just a change in the way the violet has been grown. Like when they are transfered from a warm, humid greenhouse of a cool, dry store. Some violets really don't take the change well.

You can also cause a "culture break" in your own home by moving it around a lot. Some violets are picky. [Roll Eyes]

-
 -

by plants 'n pots on January 03, 2006 11:57 AM
Very interesting - I have never heard that phrase before!
Learn something new everyday! [thumb]

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on January 03, 2006 12:03 PM
Absolutely WONDERFUL lessons here AVQ!!! I am SOOO thrilled you started this thread...

Okay...my leaf I started yesterday...I did good on the soil but did not mix the perlite...should I leave it as is or disturb it to add the perlite?

Oh..and I wanted to add that your pics help tremendously...

thanks teach! [thumb]

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by barleychown on January 03, 2006 12:25 PM
Vanessa...I'm working on another post for the AV's...but basically, I'm sure yours will be fine! [thumb] You may want to "dome" it, though...

-
 -

by barleychown on January 03, 2006 12:30 PM
Okay...now, on to the fun stuff! [grin]

First, assemble the following:
 -
Use the permenant pen to label the pot with the date you started the leaf.

Poke holes in the bottom of your pots with the knife...BE CAREFUL!
 -

Using the knife, cut off a leaf, close to the crown of the plant so there is a lot of stem left with the leaf, like so:
 -

-
 -

by barleychown on January 03, 2006 12:35 PM
Now, using the razor blade, cut the stem at about a 45* angle, leaving around a half and inch of stem:
 -

So it looks like this when done:
 -

Now...let it sit for around twenty minutes so it can sort of scab over the end a little, then stick it into the pot:
 -

-
 -

by barleychown on January 03, 2006 12:40 PM
Now, to keep the leaves happy and firm while they are "laboring", I like to "dome" them...in essence, create a mini greenhouse for them to hang out in...

Either "dome" each pot seperately:
 -

Or as a group:
 -

The covered pan in the second pic was found at wal-mart in the bakeware section. They come as a set of two for around $3.

Any questions? [dunno]

-
 -

by Triss on January 03, 2006 12:44 PM
Way Cool! I really like the idea of the baking pan with a lid. I could keep that here at my desk as I am going to put a growing light under the eave of my rolltop desk.

Just so you know, you have answered all the questions I have come up with so far. I cannot WAIT to get started on this!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by 4Ruddy on January 03, 2006 12:45 PM
Oops! I'm thinkin this one might be a gonner from the start...I may need "do overs"... [Roll Eyes]

~V~

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by barleychown on January 03, 2006 12:55 PM
Aw, you would be surprised how many I have done totally different from what is posted here and they made it. Give it a chance! [thumb]

Mind if I ask why you think it won't make it? And how long has it been off the donor plant? [dunno]

-
 -

by Triss on January 03, 2006 12:56 PM
Do overs are ok Vanessa. About how long does it take you to get a baby Sarah?

-
 -
by barleychown on January 03, 2006 01:02 PM
Okay...now that we've started our leaves...here is what we have to look forward to in 4 to 10 weeks!

The "mouse ears":
 -

A little bit older baby:
 -

And a tray full of babies:
 -

-
 -

by Triss on January 03, 2006 01:06 PM
Oh that is great and not too long of a turn around either. Do you take out the mama leaf after the babies start?

-
 -
by barleychown on January 03, 2006 01:09 PM
I'll have to go into that in a separate post...it's rather intricate to describe, and I don't want to get it and leaf-starting mixed up.

My brain can't keep up! [perplexed]

-
 -

by Triss on January 03, 2006 01:13 PM
Ok, We have lots of time for that one [Big Grin]

-
 -
by barleychown on January 03, 2006 01:14 PM
At least 4 to 10 weeks! [Big Grin]

-
 -

by plants 'n pots on January 03, 2006 08:50 PM
Once again, excellent instructions and pictures Sarah!

Do you sell your babies? What do you do with all those wonderful plants? No wonder you bought leaves yesterday - you have the knack!!!

I hope I can get out to Home Depot today and get a plant - schools are closed since we had a really nasty mix of ice and snow overnight. Not much in accumulation, but a big mess. It's snowing currently also.

-
 -
by JV on January 03, 2006 10:18 PM
Well got my applesauce contianer out of the trash @ 1am dogs looked at me like ok we do that you get mad how come you can do it. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Can't waite to get started.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Dixie Angel on January 03, 2006 10:35 PM
What a wonderful tutorial, Sarah! Now I will just have to get some african violets to get me started this week-end. I think my neighbor has a couple...

Dianna

-
 -
by Oui on January 03, 2006 11:52 PM
Everytime I have ever tried to grow an African Violet I killed it...<<pout>> I have no clue what I did wrong. If you have any hints for me I would greatly appreciate it. If I could only get one to live then I could grow them from leaves. <smile>
by JV on January 04, 2006 04:36 AM
Bought these today @ Wal-Mart $1.94@.
 -
 -
 -
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by JV on January 04, 2006 04:45 AM
These Rubber mMaid 2" containers with lids 8 for $1.88
 - The Rubber Made "cake"pan w/lid 8"x12" inside was $1.88 also easier to handle with arthritis and not so easy to puncture. I took Ice Pick and put holes in the cups.
Here is after they are potted and in the "cake"pan. this first one has PEARLITE soil mix.
 -
This last one has Peat moss and Soil just to test and see what happens. Peat is what angleblossmm traded me yesterday. Hope I did Good on these. Barley this is my first time ever with Av's so if I get addicted it is your fault If I have to go to AV anonymous
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by plants 'n pots on January 04, 2006 04:50 AM
WOW Jimmy - you done good!

Pretty AVs and great containers!

Whatcha gonna do with all the babies you end up with?

-
 -
by JV on January 04, 2006 04:54 AM
Thanks Lynne being Rubber maid I can use them over several times. And just keep bouncing off things. [Big Grin]
Well if I do good will share with GH family as well send my sister and her girls that want one some. Sounds like next years Christmas and B'Day's what do you think? Cheap skate keeps coming out on me. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by plants 'n pots on January 04, 2006 05:02 AM
Sounds good to me, JV!!!
Spreading the green around - this kind, is worth it's weight in gold! [thumb]

-
 -
by JV on January 04, 2006 05:02 AM
Forgot to say those three leaves in Peat and Soil I borrowed them for this test they did not come off the plants I bought. You think I want damaged plants no way. The ones in Pearlite and Soil came off the plants I bought. Barley just started an addiction. [Big Grin] She knew I had to go to work at midnight now because of her I have been playing in dirt all day instead of resting. Was a lot more fun too. [Big Grin] All day on my porch in T-shirt and moccasins January 3rd 85 degrees. Think it must be summer calender has to be wrong.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by plants 'n pots on January 04, 2006 05:04 AM
Shotz JV!

How 'bout you send about 20 of those degrees up my way?

-
 -
by JV on January 04, 2006 05:07 AM
Would gladly send you about 40 degrees in trade for ANY kind of moisture. Six inchs snow would work real good. Or about 2 weeks of good steady rain. Tired of having to have AC on in January [Frown] [tears]
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by plants 'n pots on January 04, 2006 05:22 AM
You got it, Jimmy!

We've had rain and snow - not as bad as out west of course, but enough to share!

-
 -
by barleychown on January 04, 2006 10:46 AM
Go Jimmy! It looks like you found some great plants there. Good job. [thumb]

-
 -

by JV on January 04, 2006 12:16 PM
Thanks Sarah I tried to remember what yours looked like and told Carolyn she helped me pick them out. She always makes sure I get the best there of what ever I am getting. She usually will give me a cutting of something there.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Triss on January 04, 2006 12:46 PM
Jimmy, That is GREAT. I am goping to go with the rubbermaid as well. And I am going to grow them for my MIL and SIL's for next Christmas. I am going to give each a basket of them. What an awesome idea!

-
 -
by JV on January 05, 2006 04:06 PM
How wet are the AV's supposed to be the ones I got are soaking wet even a day after I took them out of that plastic paper and the solid cup they were in. Have them in pots they were bought in placed in a liner without water as I thought they were too wet. Triss the one I went to had a lot of AV's on the shelves in fact were just putting them out. But not much of any other plant but tons of plastic bins.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by barleychown on January 06, 2006 12:36 PM
Jimmy, aim for about as wet as a well wrung out sponge...so just moist, never soaking wet.

-
 -

by JV on January 06, 2006 01:04 PM
Ok thanks these were so wet I placed then I a plate and water soon drained out filling the plate. Think I have it about right now thank you for the addiction.
Jimmy

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: