The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My Grandmother's Jade Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: My good deals...| Next thread: My Grandmothers Aloe PLant. »
Back to Thread index
by gram on February 11, 2004 03:47 AM
Recently my beloved grandmother passed away. To remember her by, I transferred her jade plant to my apartment. That was about a week ago. Since that time, leaves are falling off faster than I can count. They fall off on their own all day, and when I touch the plant even slightly at night, the leaves fall right off. I don't think the plant will last another week unless something major is done. What can I do? Special lighting, pruning?

The plant is potted, about 2 feet high. It is probably receiving less light than in her apartment, but gets several hours of light in the morning (southern exposure). Originally my girlfriend and I thought the problem was lack of water, so we have probably overwatered at this point. Again, please help me save this plant, and my grandmother's memory.
by weezie13 on February 11, 2004 06:19 AM
Hi Gram,
I just wanted to Welcome you to The Garden Helpers Forum... Someone who is a bit more
knowledgeable in house plants will swing through
at many different times during the day and weeks.
Sit tight, someone will be through!!

In the meantime, there's alot of good reading here at The Garden Helper...
If you do a GARDEN SEARCH, and type in JADE,
you'll get alot of different enteries on the
subject... While you're waiting, have a good read! [critic]

Also do a FORUM SEARCH and type in JADE, and you'll get alot of the previous conversations from the forum here about JADES, may help!!! [dunno]

Do you have any other plants besides the one from your' granmother.>>??>> [flower] [flower]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Jiffymouse on February 12, 2004 03:13 AM
[wayey] hi gram. [angel] sorry about your grandmother. here are the things you need to do to save the jade.

first, get it lots and lots of light. if you don't have enough (as much as grams had) get a flourescent light for it. a cheap (under $10) is ok, just has to be flourescent. 12-15 hours a day isn't too much.

second, let the soil COMPLETELY dry between watering. jades hate wet feet. [Frown]

third, every leaf that falls off is a potential plant. after a day or two, stick the end into the soil and maybe you will have jade babies to share with others who loved grams.

fourth, trim any areas that are mushy. if the top of a branch or stem is firm but the bottom is mushy, trim the top part and stick it in the soil. it will root and be just fine. IF you do not over water it. good luck and keep us posted.
by Will Creed on February 14, 2004 10:37 PM
Like most plants, jades don't change. Try to duplicate tha environment that your grandmother provided as much as possible, particularly in regard to light. Otherwise, follow Jiffy's good advice.
by gram on February 20, 2004 09:16 PM
Thank both of you for helping me save my grandmother's jade plant. To date it is losing far fewer leaves, although it lost a lot at the beginning. I'm letting it dry out quite a bit, and I bought a plant light to help get it light. Is that as good as a flourescent light? Also, does the plant light/flourescent light have to be right on top of the plant, or can it be in an overhead light about 5 feet above the plant?

Thanks again. I am very grateful.
by weezie13 on February 20, 2004 09:37 PM
Gram,
Please keep us posted,
that is half the fun of gardening and answering questions, is the feedback and response from our garden members about how were we able to help
(*or even if we weren't able to, at least we can learn from it)
And not only from the gardeners who've joined, but for those who just read the Q&A and for those future gardeners who come acrossed such questions in the future..
Thank~You!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Jiffymouse on February 21, 2004 04:29 AM
gram, 5 feet is fine. good luck and keep posting to let us know!
by Will Creed on February 22, 2004 12:33 AM
Plant lights can be either incandescent or fluorescent. The latter are preferred because they give off less heat and are far cheaper to operate.

Fluorescents can be placed within a few inches of the plant. Incandescents must be far enough away so that the heat does not burn the plant. Place your hand on the plant; if the heat from the incandescent lamp feels warm that is good; if it feels hot, it is too close; if you don't feel any warmth, then it is too far away.
by gram on March 21, 2004 06:18 AM
Thanks to everyone who has helped me save my grandmother's jade plant. I now have overhead plant lights and i've been watering less. It isn't losing leaves like it was, but its hard to tell if it growing new ones. It is still spartant. Also, some leaves now seem to be shriveling up. Perhaps now I am underwatering. How do I know when to water???
by Jiffymouse on March 21, 2004 04:45 PM
sounds like you are doing it right. you may lose some leaves to shriveling due to the root rot you first had.

to know when to water, the rule i use for my jades is this: when the top of the soil is really dry, but not starting to compact. i give it a good dousing and then let it go till next time!

please continue to keep us posted, it was nice to see the update today [thumb]
by Will Creed on March 22, 2004 01:25 AM
Hi Gram,

Jades are usually potted in sandy soil and that makes it hard to tell how moist it is. Try poking a stick or pencil about two inches down into the soil. Remove the stick and see if it feels at all moist. When the top two inches of soil is dry, then it is time to water.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: My good deals...| Next thread: My Grandmothers Aloe PLant. »
Back to Thread index