The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Palm tree i think...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: palm tree| Next thread: Palm tree seeds »
Back to Thread index
by honeybee50_1955 on June 15, 2006 04:09 AM
I have a palm tree I think, it's from a planter when my oldest son passed away...it has been 3 years this july.. this past maybe 6 or so months it is not looking very well..it is dying in small stages it has new shoots that come up and look pretty good..but the older leaves are very pale in color and as i said parts of it are dying i have tried watering less and watering more ..it is in a window with partial sun ..more nothing seems to work...i have repotted it about a year ago...with good soil i have looked on the net alot and cant seem to find anything.. my plant it is very important to me...any ideas on what to do? [thinker] [tears]

live for the day for you never know what tomorrow holds.
by joclyn on June 15, 2006 04:57 AM
we need to know exactly what type of plant it is, to be able to help. could you post a picture of it?

or, find a picture on the net that is the same and link to it.
by Maine-ly Bees on June 15, 2006 06:33 AM
Does it look something like this?
www.thegardenhelper.com/palms.htm

I have one and I placed it outdoors in the sun a few weeks ago and I think it got sunburned. Many of the leaves turned brown and dry.

I think they like bright light but not direct sunlight.

Mine looks pretty sad now but new "fronds" are always forming so eventually I will cut off the faded and dying leaves it will be nice and green again.

Good luck, hope this helps. David

David Wallace
Owner/Operator, Maine-ly Bees
Bowdoinham, Maine
by Maine-ly Bees on June 15, 2006 06:36 AM
Sorry, the above link doesn't seem to work.

Anyway, the picture I wanted you to see is: Chamaedorea elegans.

If you google that you might see the plant you have.

Give that a shot. David

David Wallace
Bowdoinham, Maine
by Maine-ly Bees on June 15, 2006 06:37 AM
Hey!!! I think I got it to work!!!

David

David Wallace
Bowdoinham, Maine
by honeybee50_1955 on June 17, 2006 11:38 AM
i will try and take a picture of the plant and post it...it does very much resemble the one you posted it has been outside though so i am not sure what is wrong with it ...it's just slowly dying and i really want to keep it going because of my son..

by joclyn on June 17, 2006 02:14 PM
the one that dave posted definitely needs bright indirect light...no need at all for grow lights either. and it needs, needs, needs to be kept evenly moist at all times. i've had two of these and didn't have success.

they're lovely and i was really upset when the second one died...i'd really tried hard to keep it situtated.

if i ever venture and get another, i'll be putting it in an african violet self-watering pot!

honeybee, please try and post a pic...you might have something that is different...let's make sure you've got the correct info for caring for it!!
by honeybee50_1955 on June 18, 2006 01:08 PM
i posted a picture i hope it works thanks joclyn and mainly-bees

by joclyn on June 18, 2006 04:28 PM
where'd you post the pic? i don't see a link in your post.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: palm tree| Next thread: Palm tree seeds »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: