The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Storing Cannas Question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Storing bulbs for winter in NY| Next thread: Storing geraniums »
Back to Thread index
by TheGardenerGuy on October 31, 2005 06:42 AM
Hi.... [wayey]
What are some ways to store cannas? [dunno] I just dug mine up and i have them drying in the garage.

Greg [gabby] [angel]

-  -
In the midst of the storm..I find the greatest Peace. I don't know what tomorrow holds..but i know Who holds tomorrow. [angel]
by psu1943 on October 31, 2005 10:46 AM
I store mine in paper bags in a insulated box in the garage. Should be dark, dry, temps above freezing but below 50 degrees.
by mike57 on October 31, 2005 04:53 PM
HI Greg. psu1943-method will work but i do mine this way.the best time to dig up cannas.after your first frost cut off all the foliage,dig them up and rinse all the soil off them let them dry for a few days then store them indoors in a dark dry place with the temp about 50 deg store them in a mesh bag.a onion bag works great.eather way will work just fine.your friend in gardening.mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by afgreyparrot on October 31, 2005 10:46 PM
So..... [nutz] I'm supposed to dig my cannas up? [dunno]
I didn't know that [Roll Eyes] ...this is the first year I've had them...and they have multiplied like rabbits this summer.

Man, this gardening is a tough job! [Big Grin]
It's always something!
I have about 4 or 5 shovels all over the yard...no matter where I am, there is always a shovel close by!
Guess I'll be using one of them on the cannas today!

-

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Jiffymouse on November 01, 2005 02:50 AM
cindy, if your cannas did ok last year, they don't need dug up. but there are cannas that won't make it through a winter with snow.
by tkhooper on November 01, 2005 03:35 AM
I feel for you Cindy. I have first year canna too. And I know I have to dig mine up because they are in a container and would never make it through the winter. And you know my small apartment. I guess the canna will be in the crisper with the lettuce lol.

-
 -
by comfrey on November 01, 2005 04:25 AM
tk since you live in an apartment...If you have room a couple of suggestions on where to put them...in a closet or under the bed, since both would be cooler areas. But the ideal spot is usually in the garage.

-
 -
by BFVISION on November 01, 2005 09:06 AM
I would be concerned living in an apartment because the heat will be greater then 50 degrees. Here in zone 6 I am awaiting the first frost, and I am poised to trim and dig. I bring my outdoor planters in, refresh the peat moss, and bury the cannas. I am on about 3 seasons now and keep sharing with the neighbors. I usually have to trim them two times and a little water so they dont dry out, but the basement seems to be perfect

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest
by Steph321 on November 01, 2005 09:18 AM
Well I am know help, because in Ga. you don't have to dig them up [lala]

But I have already cut mine down, I do mulch tho.

******Steph [wayey]
by cinta on November 01, 2005 10:19 AM
I do not store mine dry. I have them in pots water 1/2 glass once a month. They start to sprout in March and bloom in June. I am in a hurry for flowers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by mrw on November 12, 2005 08:37 AM
Cinta,
Do you keep the canna in the house, or another place. I like the idea of early blooms!
by cinta on November 13, 2005 01:52 AM
MRW, I keep them in the basement the temps are 50-55 in the winter.

I have heard people that do not have the space for the pots all winter.....Start them in pots in March but it is harder after drying all winter to not over water and rot.

If you have them out you can put a lot of bulbs in one pot and put soil over them. I use the big styrofoam boxes and they start sprouting on their own. I do not give them any extra light. Only light they get if from the two small glassblock windows in the basement until all threat of frost before they go outside.

by mrw on November 14, 2005 12:42 AM
thanks cinta
will try!
by debraw on November 14, 2005 10:34 PM
I was told to cut the roots off and wrap them in newspaper, then put in a cool, dark place. Is this right?
Debbie
Missouri zone 5
by hoa on November 15, 2005 04:24 AM
Hello Cinta,
Is your basement heated in winter? I ask because mine is not and I never check how hot or cold it gets. I will want to store dahlias and roses.
by cinta on November 15, 2005 07:59 AM
Yes my basement is heated. But it stays cool because the radiator is not big enough to heat it as warm as the rest of the house. So it stays at 50-55.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Storing bulbs for winter in NY| Next thread: Storing geraniums »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: