The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

STONECROP SEDUM

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: stock~matthiola Incana| Next thread: Storage Time For Canning »
Back to Thread index
by DaisyM on October 24, 2005 01:05 PM
I bought a stonecrop sedum in the greenhouse, but didn't plant it outside because I ran out of space. I kept the little pot outside, and it was doing well and blooming a spray of purple little flowers. Because we were to have frost, I brought it inside and it looked nice for about a week or two, then started to drop it's leaves. I don't know if I overwatered or underwatered it? The flowers still remain on a leggy bare stem. Do you think I should cut it down, or throw it out? Any chance of it coming back?
by obywan59 on October 24, 2005 02:00 PM
Could you plant it outside? Stonecrop sedums are hardy as far north as zone 3. It's a perennial and although the tops of the plant will die down, it will begin growing again in spring.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by cinta on October 24, 2005 03:19 PM
If you are like me when it gets cold I do not want to dig in the garden.

Stonecrop is very hardy. If you just do not water it any more. If you can get a styrofoam cooler put drainage wholes in it and plant it and put it outside it will probably grow back next year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by hoa on October 24, 2005 11:01 PM
Stonecrop is very hardy and easy plant to grow. Break some branches and stick them into the ground and they will grow even if you plant it shallowly. Don't fertilize it though bcs it will look funny.
by DaisyM on October 24, 2005 11:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate them. When you say cold, just how cold are you talking about? The temps of our winters are -20's to -30's. We do have the succulent Hens and Chicks growing here and they do come back every spring. Would the Stonecrop sedum be as hardy?
by obywan59 on October 24, 2005 11:29 PM
Do you know what planting zone you're in? If not, here is a link to the Canadian Plant Hardiness Zones map.

http://wms1.agr.gc.ca/cgi-bin/mapplant2000?mode=browse&layer=zones&layer=cities

You said -20s to -30s. If that's what the average MINIMUM temperature for your winter is, that would put you in zone 4. If so, your sedum should be hardy there as it's listed to zone 3 which has an average MINIMUM winter temperature of -30s to -40s.

-
Terry

by comfrey on October 24, 2005 11:49 PM
I had one growing in a pot in the house for about 2 years and I finally set the pot outdoors to give it up for dead, but it came back out and very pretty...So even if you don't want to set it out, you can keep it in the house and in the spring when it comes back out, set it in the ground. I still have mine in a pot on the porch, But I am in zone 7b and I plan to leave it on the porch for the winter.

-
 -
by tkhooper on October 25, 2005 12:18 AM
Oh Comfrey your ticker. What a kick lol. I saw that and knew exactly what you ment.

-
 -
by hoa on October 25, 2005 08:08 AM
I am in zone 5 which could get to -30 or -35 I think.
by comfrey on October 25, 2005 08:30 AM
Well to be safe, you can bring it indoors for the winter and plant it in the spring, just be careful to not over water it indoors, and it will probable will start looking leggy, but it will come out of it when it can go back outside.

-
 -
by DaisyM on October 26, 2005 10:21 AM
Well, I did it, I found a place for it outside, so I'll have to see if it comes back in the Spring.
Terry, I checked out the Zone link for my area, and because the two greens are so similar, I don't know if I'm in a 2b or 3b zone? What does this mean? I must be missing something?
by obywan59 on October 26, 2005 11:40 AM
If you click the cursor on the map at your approximate location, it will zoom in closer. Have you tried that?

Also, zone 2b will be above (north) of the dark green zone (zone 3a) whereas zone 3b will be below (south) of the dark green zone.

You're right though, on the key, the 2 greens look different, but on the map they look the same.

-
Terry

by weezie13 on October 27, 2005 11:39 AM
That stone crop stuff is very hardy...
You could leave on sprig of that stuff,
just laying on top of the dirt, and come
spring time, it would root!!!!
Very hardy plant, and I never watered mine
and I have several varieties of it...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by DaisyM on October 27, 2005 12:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'll see if it survives outside? Terry, I think I'm in a 3B zone. Does that coincide with -20c to -30c temps?. Too bad it dropped most of it's leaves when I brought it into the house. The purple flowers were so pretty. They're still there, but it doesn't look very good without the leaves. I do have very poor lighting in my house. It probably got a lighting shock.
by obywan59 on October 27, 2005 12:58 PM
I think zone 3b would -30 to -35.

-
Terry

by DaisyM on October 27, 2005 01:24 PM
We have plenty of minus 30's to -35c to -38c and if they take the windchill factor into consideration, it sometimes reaches minus 50. When I said -20c to -30c, I sort of averaged out our fluctuating temps. It varies from winter to winter. All I know for sure, it's COLD. brrrr...
by Cricket on October 27, 2005 01:49 PM
Where in Canada are you, Daisy?
by weezie13 on October 27, 2005 07:34 PM
Daisy, Just outta curiousity......
You wouldn't happen to have a picture, would you? [dunno] [thumb]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: stock~matthiola Incana| Next thread: Storage Time For Canning »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: