The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

night blooming cereus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Night blooming cereus?| Next thread: Night Blooming Cyrus »
Back to Thread index
by Jiffymouse on January 27, 2004 11:52 PM
mom54 gave me a night blooming cereus and now, i have to figure out how to take care of it! the only thing i have done to it is repot it per her instructions (and stuck some cacti down in the pot with it temporarily - until i get a pot for them). from what i understand, it is close in relationship to a holiday cactus. i can't wait for it to grow. anyone (including you mom54) have more info/stories for me?
by Will Creed on January 28, 2004 03:00 AM
Jiffy,

Congratulations on your acquisition. There is no flower more voluptuous than the night blooming cereus (Epiphyllum oxypetalum).

You are right that it needs care similar to that of holiday cacti. That includes being kept in a small pot because it will not bloom until it is potbound. Lots of bright indirect light. Cool temps in the fall. A porous potting mix.

Enjoy!
by Jillie on January 28, 2004 03:47 PM
Jiffy, you're gonna love your cereus when it blooms! Ours was a rescue from a broken pot laying on its side in the weeds when we moved in here. It surprised us with a bloom about 6 months after I re-potted it. That bloom was HUGE and almost irridescent in the moonlight. [thumb]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Night blooming cereus?| Next thread: Night Blooming Cyrus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: