The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

snip/cut/pinch

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: sniffle whaaaaaaaaaa| Next thread: Snow Drops »
Back to Thread index
by lizheaemma on January 24, 2004 04:10 AM
So you're told to pinch out the new growth to make a plant bushier and twist out the undesired growth on our african violets ... but what is with this? Does anyone know if a pinch is better than cutting with scissors and what about taking the knife to them? Those 3' spathiphyllum I fight with are not about to give up that yellow leaf without a fight, not even a chance of getting the finished flower stalk from it! Is it harmful to the plant to be cut with a knife? Is there a better way? [Roll Eyes]
by Jiffymouse on January 25, 2004 01:15 AM
hey liz, let me try this again. (lost the post [Frown] )
anyway. on my spaths (or anything else) i use one of the following:
scissors, knife, pruners, wire cutters.

all very sharp, all very clean.

if i try to pinch or twist and it don't seem to want to come, i just cut, much less trauma for me and the plant!
by Will Creed on January 25, 2004 11:51 PM
Hi Liz,

Pinching is overused as a technique. It rarely makes a plant bushier, because new gowth usually pops up in the same place that you pinched. It will keep a plant from getting larger, if it is done constantly. The plant doesn't care if you use your fingernails, finger tips, or pointed scissors.

Pruning is done with a sharp tool and it involves cutting off more than just a newly emerging bud. This is the best way to keep a plant compact and bushy.

Trimming usually refers to the removal of dead or dying growth. A sharp instrument usually works better, but some trimming can be done with your fingers if the dead leaf comes off easily.

All clear now?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: sniffle whaaaaaaaaaa| Next thread: Snow Drops »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: