The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

To Rake or Not To Rake??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Storm on October 23, 2005 01:59 AM
That is my question.

What is everyone's take on raking tree leaves out of the perenial garden beds? Is it better to just leave them to compost by themselves or is it better to get them off the surface of the soil?

[wayey]
by Jiffymouse on October 23, 2005 02:11 AM
personally, i leave them, and crunch them as they dry. not to mention they promote water retention.

and, good to see you, been a while [wayey]
by Storm on October 23, 2005 02:29 AM
Good idea Jiff. Didn't think of the water retention. I just raked up one long bed but there are three more to go before I would be done. I think I will try it for one year.

I won't bore you with details but have been really busy. I miss everyone. [Love]
by Jiffymouse on October 23, 2005 02:53 AM
you are never a bore! and, let us know how it goes. i don't rake, period, if i can help it, and right now, i'm helping it! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [wayey]
by melcon6 on October 23, 2005 03:06 AM
I do 90% of my raking in the spring. I have a lot of oak trees and their leaves drop about the same time as the snow does. I feel the leaves help protect the plants in years that we don't get a lot of snow, but I do rake them off in the spring and put them in the compost pile. I also rake very carefully in some places where tender new shoots are coming up.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by cinta on October 23, 2005 12:25 PM
I use the leaf blower. Then suck them up and spread them back on the garden. They breakdown faster that way.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by obywan59 on October 23, 2005 02:44 PM
I mulch all my beds with bark, so I rake all the leaves out onto the yard and bag them with my lawn mower to use as mulch on next years vegetable garden.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by oldcrow61 on October 29, 2005 01:38 AM
Yes, the leaves help protect the plant roots particularly if you are in a cold climate. They should be raked off in the spring because if there are a lot of leaves on the beds they get matted down and could smother the new shoots that are coming up. Carol.
by tkhooper on October 29, 2005 07:53 PM
I'm raking for the compost pile. I have grassclippings on the beds already to protect the bulbs and such from cold temps. That's right isn't it?

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: