The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Pothos going up...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Pothos Brown Tips| Next thread: pothos plant »
Back to Thread index
by gardeningmomma on May 29, 2006 07:34 AM
Does anyone have a potho that grows up the way? I saw one on-line and was wondering how to do it. Is there a special stake to use?
Thanks. [grin]
by Jiffymouse on May 29, 2006 09:13 AM
most people use moss covered wood for the stake. they have to have something solid to cling to in order to grow up. that said, if you have them too close to a wall, they will climb the wall, curtains, whatever they can grab. and i have seen them grab the drywall. not often, but it does happen.
by gardeningmomma on May 29, 2006 02:58 PM
Neat! Can I buy moss covered sticks at Lowes? Or I would I have to make my own one?
by preciousgreenfingers on May 29, 2006 10:12 PM
I've staked mine on a moss pole ( I found it after a lot of hunting!!!) and its growing really well. The leaves are getting bigger as its growing up [flower]
by msgvb on May 30, 2006 02:10 AM
well where did you find it?

msg ::novice houseplant taker-care-of-er::
underexposed.org
flickr.com - msgvb
by gomerp618 on May 30, 2006 04:36 AM
The idea I saw in one of my books was to get some wire like fencing, like chicken wire or something.. make it cylinder shaped and use wire to keep it that shape.. then pack it with Moss using a stick to really pack it in all the way from bottom up and put the pole in the pot. Then you use small bits of wire to pin the plant to the pole to train it to grow up.

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by gardeningmomma on May 30, 2006 12:24 PM
Thanks- I could do that! I looked today at a couple of stores but they didn't have any.
by msgvb on May 31, 2006 03:19 AM
oh, btw, I didn't realize this until now, but I have a cutting from mine that I've got in a small pot with a bamboo stake in it and that green velcro tape holding it to. could always go that route, too.

msg ::novice houseplant taker-care-of-er::
underexposed.org
flickr.com - msgvb
by gardeningmomma on June 02, 2006 04:04 PM
That's a good idea. I wonder if I could put moss on a bamboo stake and "train" it to go up it. [clappy] Thanks
by boke on June 02, 2006 05:43 PM
Right now my potho has taken over my glass top coffee table. I had no idea that it was a potho until joining this site. You guys n dolls are the greatest! I'm thinking of placing it in a hanging pot and encourage it to climb up the ropes...what do ya'll think? [dunno]  -

"Make sure your soul is firmly planted in Christ, so you may be rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith."
by gardeningmomma on June 03, 2006 03:30 PM
My friend did that. It looks nice [Wink]
by boke on June 05, 2006 03:36 PM
Just got back from a wedding (niece). Had a great time...taking tomorrow off as well. Would like to re-claim my coffee table and place this potho in a hanging pot...wish me luck?!

"Make sure your soul is firmly planted in Christ, so you may be rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith."
by gardeningmomma on June 05, 2006 03:50 PM
Good Luck [Wink] I'm sure it will look great. Post some pictures after?!?!
by boke on June 05, 2006 04:02 PM
I surely will keep ya posted with pictures!

by Rosepetal on June 06, 2006 07:16 AM
Welcome boke to the best forum on the net. [Big Grin]

I have 2 pothos in hanging pots and have them climbing up the braided hangers. It really looks nice. On one I even have a big plate underneath the pot giving it that wide look. [flower]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pothos Brown Tips| Next thread: pothos plant »
Back to Thread index