The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

mother-in-law tongue -Blooms?????

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: mother-in-law bloom| Next thread: Mother-in-laws tongue »
Back to Thread index
by angelblossom on May 28, 2006 12:22 PM
Ive had this M-I-L-Tongue for almost 17 years this is the first time I have ever seen this.. could it be something happened to get dropped in it and its growing now,,or,,

Do Mother-in Law tongues Bloom???
It's growing in the center of the plant
 -

Here is a closer shot...
 -

Has anyone else had one bloom??

-
 -
Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Faith looks up!  -  -
http://photobucket.com/albums/e374/2thtek/  -  -
by Patty S on May 28, 2006 01:46 PM
What you've got there is a blossom from your plant. (No, nothing got dropped in your pot!) [grin] I've seen them bloom, but they'll only do it when they're pot bound. I think that since they dont grow very fast, it's assumed that they only bloom when they're old.

That's a lot of plant you have there... very nice! [thumb] The first couple Mother-in-law tongue/Snake plants (Sansevieria) that I had were never very happy & didn't make it, then I found out that I'd been loving them to death! I didn't know that Sansevieria is a succulent, so it thrives on neglect, rather than regular watering!  -

(I'm curious about what the plant marker says... I can't make it out.) [dunno]

-
 -
by angelblossom on May 28, 2006 02:29 PM
Patty S...,OH [Big Grin] The plant marker says "Leaf Me Never"
Whats funny is that this is the first spring in 2 years that it got a dose of any fertilizer, actually it was just egg water, Guess she liked it

[Big Grin] So you have seen one bloom? COOL! I'll post a picture when it actually does bloom K??

-
 -
by gomerp618 on May 28, 2006 03:50 PM
I've had mine bloom once, but then I moved it into a bigger pot and it hasn't done it since.

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by angelblossom on May 28, 2006 05:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by gomerp618:
I've had mine bloom once, but then I moved it into a bigger pot and it hasn't done it since.
What did it look like and how long did it last??

-
 -
by Magnolia4moi on May 31, 2006 06:13 PM
The flowers were creamy/white with a very sweet smell. Seems they lasted a few days, after blooming I cut the stalk off.
by JV on May 31, 2006 07:45 PM
Diane go to my photobucket I posted a bloom on mine I think january of February not sure. That was first bloom I had ever seen on one and my sister said she had never seen the bloom before. I have since split mine up some so maynot bloom again for awhile.  - decided to go ahead and post it.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by angelblossom on June 01, 2006 02:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Magnolia4moi:
The flowers were creamy/white with a very sweet smell. Seems they lasted a few days, after blooming I cut the stalk off.
Is there a reason to cut the flower stalk off ?? Or was it just for esthetics??

Jimmmy Thanks for posting you picture!! I've never heard of this ,, the plant must really have to be mature.. it still hasn't bloomed out yet tho it is getting a little taller..
Did you cut your stalk off as well ??

Diane

-
 -
by JV on June 01, 2006 08:05 PM
Diane I didn't cut the stalk but I did seperate it some into other pots and gave a lot of it away. Have some here to give Patsy and Annmarie just have to get it to them.

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Myrna on June 02, 2006 11:33 AM
Whats funny is that this is the first spring in 2 years that it got a dose of any fertilizer, actually it was just egg water, Guess she liked it
quote:

egg water is a form of fertilizer? do you just mix the egg into water? if so how much water and how many eggs? I have 1 snake plant i took off 2 babies. Now that I know it blossoms once pot bound I will leave it in it's current pot until i see a blossom [clappy]
Myrna

Myrna R

life is like a box chocolates you never know what you are going to get (unless you pop the bottoms in first!)
by Squirrel on June 02, 2006 02:21 PM
I think it`s because the plant is pot bound. Mine got a bloom and I was amazed. Then my sister`s did the same thing and they where both pot bound. I`ve since repotted mine so I don`t expect it to bloom any time soon. Sue Good Pix.

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by angelblossom on June 10, 2006 05:58 PM
The flowering stock has gotton much taller but no blooms yet, I hadn't looked at it for a few days and looks like it really could bloom any day now,, I'll post a pict when it does!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: mother-in-law bloom| Next thread: Mother-in-laws tongue »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: