The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

cold and plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Coir bricks| Next thread: Cold as Ice! »
Back to Thread index
by lxygurl on January 14, 2004 11:01 PM
how cold can it be for most plants? i have a snake plant and a golden pothos and some sort of dracaena on my closed in breezeway. it has been very cold here (10 degrees) and they are doing just fine out there. my husband has been complaining because the rest of the plants that i had out there are in the kitchen. can my dish garden which consists of Dracaena marginata, Dracaena sanderiana, Alocasia, Maranta, Dieffenbachia, Philodendron, and Dracaena Compacta (i think) sit out on the breezeway too? my cat just keeps eating the other plants so i have to keep them up high and they aren't getting enough light. by the way, thanks to will, the dish garden plants had been identified except for the last one. you couldn't see that one in the picture. thanks will!!!! [thumb] anyway, the others are doing fine out there so is it ok to do the same with this? oh yeah, i also had an ivy plant out there and it died. Thanks. [dunno]
by Jiffymouse on January 15, 2004 12:15 AM
lxy girl, my draceana marginata died in 30ish temps. so, i wouldn't chance it. that is the only one i can speak to. can't wait to hear the verdict on the others.
by lxygurl on January 15, 2004 01:06 AM
i would expect them to die but the other plants are doing so well out there still. the only problem that i had when it started getting cooler was with the golden pothos. it started dying but it wasn't real cold. then one day i notice that it had like white cotton on it. on a much warmer sunny day i took it outside and drenched is with some soap and water. i had suds overflowing off the top of it. then i kept running just water through it to and let it drain outside in the sun. it is doing great now and it's out in the breezeway.
by Will Creed on January 15, 2004 01:59 AM
I find it hard to believe that any of the plants you mentioned can survive temps as low as 10 degrees F. All the plants are tropical in origin. Some can survive temps close to freezing, but most show signs of cold damage below 50 degrees.

If you care about keeping any of these plants, get them inside right away!
by lxygurl on January 15, 2004 02:13 AM
let me just clarify that it has been 10 degrees outside not in the breezeway. i'm not sure how cold the breezeway is but its much colder than inside the house

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Coir bricks| Next thread: Cold as Ice! »
Back to Thread index