The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

brugmansia seed question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Brugmansia Question| Next thread: Brugmansias! »
Back to Thread index
by afgreyparrot on October 11, 2005 11:18 AM
O.K...I hope Meg doesn't see this. [Roll Eyes]
She'll make fun of me. [Big Grin]

But...several people have asked me for some of my brug seeds, because I've posted pics of my brugs.

Where are the seeds?

Cindy Faye

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by MissJamie on October 11, 2005 12:08 PM
here ya go cindy! hope this helps! now I got a question...I got a cutting of a brug and it's doing sooooo good! is it a perrenial? will it survive snow/frost? [dunno]
brug seed pod

p.s.-you can come up with tons of stuff if ya do a search on a search engine for something like brugmansia seed pod [Wink]

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by afgreyparrot on October 11, 2005 09:39 PM
I searched on GH and got good info, but wanted step-by-step pictures...which are on ABDS website...but I can't view the pictures on this computer...and a lot of the info is in the image box, which I only get to see a little red "X" in. From the info I got off GH archives, I guess the "pods" come after the flowers are gone [dunno] ...so I imagine that should be happening soon on mine. [nutz] I have tons of flowers right now, and a lot of flowers have fallen off already.

I'm gonna have to sneak [scaredy] downstairs and use Andy's computer I guess. [Big Grin]

I hate just seeing half the stuff on a webpage.

quote:
is it a perrenial? will it survive snow/frost?
Uhhh...that was MY next question!
Leslie told me she saw a huge brug in someone's yard near Rachel's house...so yesterday I drove over there and looked for it. It is BIG! Looks about the same color as mine that is blooming right now. Today I'm gonna drive back over there and ask them about it...what they do to it in the winter. I'll see if they will let me take a picture of it while I'm there. [grin]

-
 -
 -
by njoynit on October 18, 2005 04:31 AM
Cindy...ya have to hand pollinate for seeds and have to be different types.the only self pollinateing brugmansia is cypress gardens.I have enough of a variety to get pollination now,but can't get the ones I need to bloom at the right time.you can collect pollin and store in fridge,but have to do with a sterile brush or Q tip.It would be harder for me to have my seeds ripen unless got it on the 1st flush.I don't dig my plants.I cut mine back.the one seed pod I had did not do after cutting& rooting the stem,the seedpod yellowed and fell off& I called it quiet a few nasty things.

Brugs are perienial,but their roots are only hardy to a zone 7 with protection.others will dig theirs and place in pots or they grow them in 15 gallon pots and sink the pots in ground and snip the roots in fall when they excavate them& they either let them grow,or cut back to the "Y" you can keep them semi dormant in temps of 50-60.Frost will burn the leaves& the cold will turn the stem the mush.I have one with a real think trunk and can not cut it back all the way so let it get frost& cold and when dries out then am able to get it off(I'm gonna try the saw saw this year on that)

of seen pics of a woman who lives north.she has pots of brugs all in her house.I seen one sit by her chair...with her drink& ash tray and remote...just like part of the family.she even put christmas lights& ornaments on some cause is no room on her tree. The things we'd do for a brugmansia..lmao

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by wayner2000 on October 18, 2005 06:29 AM
HI, I started my brug from a cutting I did last fall. In my zone which is zone 5B, a brug would never survive outside. Also, I have never seen any seed pods on mine. It is a peach colour and it flowered profusely however when each flower finished it fell off and no seed pod formed. I have taken cuttings again this year in hopes of starting another couple in the spring...Here's a pic of mine from this year..........  -

-
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you..........
by afgreyparrot on October 18, 2005 09:34 AM
quote:
The things we'd do for a brugmansia..lmao

Yeah...I'm going to do what ever it takes to keep them. [Big Grin]

So...I guess that means digging them up and bringing them inside.

When do I do this? Before it gets much colder?
Do I wait until they are finished blooming, or just go ahead and dig them up now? They are fixing to bloom again bigtime...the one that hasn't bloomed yet (Charles G.?) has about a million bloom things on it...fixing to open up any day. The Frosty Pink has no flowers on it right now...they have all fallen off...but it has bunches of the big green pods all over it, too, fixing to bust open.

Do I just bring them in the house and treat them like a houseplant?
I have a lot of 4' grow lights.

You digging yours up, Wayner? [dunno]

Cindy Bob

-
 -
 -
by wayner2000 on October 19, 2005 02:44 AM
Hi Cindy Bob, I had mine planted in a big pot. I have already cut it into cuttings as the first frost will most likely kill it. We here in Canada can expect our first frost any time now. ........Wayne

-
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you..........
by njoynit on October 19, 2005 03:58 AM
you "digger-upers" have to dig them BEFORE frost.And I think depending on JUST how long their grow season is matters as to if they cut them back or not& believe most of um cut just above the "Y".
I'm on them "Leaver-ins"I've followed posts where they have pots(like 15 gallon pots) and drill 2 inch holes and sink them in ground& snip the roots when digger-upper season hits.
Course now THAT means you miss on the hand cramp season of CUTTING all them brugs to the ground.with marker in hand marking cuts and buckets filled with water praying ya don't screw up.I'm really thinking seriosly about that cordless saw-saw......I have 21 plants& 3 trunks are over 3 inches woody PAINFUL hand cramp.

Cindy as they finish blooming you can dig them/bring them in.I didn't cold-greenhouse my knightii cutting last year.it was in a 3 gallon pot and in bedroom in front of window.I'll have 4 new plants& knightii again as its in pot,but will do in kitchen...(unless someone complains too much to annoy me to place it elsewhere)I just gots limited "diggerupper" experiance. but ya can root all your above "Y" cuts as more plants!and after their dug! you can ammend their bed for next year!

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Brugmansia Question| Next thread: Brugmansias! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: