The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Orchid Worries

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Orchid Iris| Next thread: Orchids »
Back to Thread index
by Questbest on May 15, 2006 04:27 AM
I have two of the white "Moth" orchids-the Phalienopsis...or whatever it's called.One had flowers last fall and hasn't gotten any more .I re-potted it in the bark/orchid medium and I see roots on the top spreading out but no flower growth.I have been careful not to overwater (10 days or so).My new one just lost all it's flowers -what do I do now.Am I suppose to be feeding these every time I water.Does anyone have any suggestions.Some people say these are carefree but I am having a nervouse break-down with them.I really do love them tho.

Linda
by dodge on May 18, 2006 12:11 PM
I was told they for a while, then quit for a rest. Then bloom again?///Not constantly.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by mich168 on May 18, 2006 03:21 PM
It can take a long time for an orchid to bloom. I used to have one and it took a year to bloom. They are pickey plants and I know they do go dorment. Yours might be trying to adjust to their home or they may be entering a dorment stage. Keep them moist, but don't overwater and make sure they have good filtered light. Don't use tap water either. Use filtered water.

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on May 18, 2006 05:20 PM
quote:
Keep them moist, but don't overwater
I read this in a post here a long time ago...
...to keep a wooden skewer in my orchids, and take it out every few days and hold it to my lips so I could feel how wet it was. When the skewer is dry, then water the orchid. If the skewer has any moisture on it, put it back in and check it the next day.

I do this...and it must be good advice because my orchids always do well.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by joclyn on May 18, 2006 05:22 PM
that sounds like an excellent way to keep tabs on moisture content! *goes off to put a bamboo skewer in her orchid*
by TomR on May 19, 2006 01:15 PM
Keep the medium moist and wait another year. Medium light level, no direct sun. They need a slight cool night period to induce flower buds. 10-15 degree day/night difference. Feed every other watering with half strength miracle grow or orchid food.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by tkhooper on May 19, 2006 01:37 PM
I am so tempted. So very very tempted. But I'm even more chicken lol.

-
 -
by lcyrose on May 24, 2006 03:16 AM
WOW! what a great idea...I am putting it on my shopping list...I LOVE this forum....so MANY GREAT ideas...
by EvelynsFlowerbaby on June 02, 2006 03:31 PM
I bought an orchid off the discount rack because it lost all its flowers. It has a new leaf but no progress in the flowering department, about how long will it be before I see signs of flowers?

Rachel Roberts
www.myhorseteddybear.com
www.petticoatpets.com

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Orchid Iris| Next thread: Orchids »
Back to Thread index