The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rabbit breeding on my frontyard

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Rabbit breeding on my frontyard| Next thread: Rabbit Foot Fern »
Back to Thread index
by MikeG on October 08, 2005 02:26 PM
There is a rabbit breeding on my frontyard. I noticed some grass damage yesterday and I walked over to it. I saw at least 3 baby rabits hiding under a hole covered by all the damaged grass.

What do I do to remove it or will they go away eventually?

How do I keep them from coming back?

here is a picture.

-
by tkhooper on October 08, 2005 09:51 PM
Hey Mike welcome to the forum. We love questions here. I must have asked about a zillion when I joined back in March. Just look at the number of posts I have at this point and you know I talk a lot. And I never seem to get all the related questions in the same post. I'm just not that organized.

But the hostess and other members have welcomed me with open arms. I haven't run across any really good answers concerning getting rid of bunnies. I have read that they bunnies don't like the crown imperial plants and they are fantastic looking plants. But they are very expensive and slow to multiply. They are on my when I get rich wish list which is why I know about them.

You might try cutting and pasting your originial posted question down in pests. It may get more answers down there. I can't swear to it though. It's just a thought.

Take care and welcome to the forum.

-
 -
by Bill on October 09, 2005 12:37 AM
Photographs that are hosted on a different site (ie: photobucket) don't take any space on our site, however the page loading speed on our site is greately affected by the speed of the photo hosting site.

We have no problems whatsoever with anyone posting photos in their topics, as long as they are reasonably sized and you don't post too many. (2-3 photos @ 640x480 on a page usually doesn't cause too much speed loss, even for us poor folks who still have dial up. (The smaller the photos are, the more you can post)

If you post hosted photos here, please leave them on the photo host. (If you delete them from the host, we are left with a topic that has a big hole in the middle of it)

I found a page in the Critter Forum recently that had a total of 22 photos on it one day though, and it took FOREVER to load. We would prefer, in a situation like that, that members start a new topic to show their pet photos.

Other than that, please feel free to post your pictures using the [img] tags!

(Did that all make any sense?)

-
by melcon6 on October 09, 2005 03:43 AM
By the way, MikeG, when I read the topic , I really thought I was gonna see pictures of the bunnies actually "breeding" [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [dunno]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Jiffymouse on October 10, 2005 02:25 AM
mike, i'm a hostess and the first thing i am going to do is answer your orginal question. for the rest of the season, i would just ignore the rabbits. but, as soon as you check the nest (check it on a regular basis) and the rabbits are gone, fill the hole, and put some chicken wire over the top of it. that will discourage the rabbits from going back there next season. also, if you have a dog or cat, some hair around the hole will deter them.
by MikeG on October 10, 2005 05:38 AM
Thank you for your help, all of your replies and a warm welcome. I will do as you said. The baby bunnies are still there in the nest. I will keep checking. This may be a dumb question but what is chicken wire and where can I get it? No pets here.

Also, I am not sure why 2 of my threads have disapeared - the ones in which I was asking someone to id my trees and shrubs.
by weezie13 on October 10, 2005 05:48 AM
quote:
Also, I am not sure why 2 of my threads have disapeared - the ones in which I was asking someone to id my trees and shrubs.
I moved them Mike, into the Mystery Section...
I think you've gotten a few responses already..

When you post again, make sure you go to
the FULL FEPLY FORM, and scroll down and you'll
see a couple of boxes, the first one is for
EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS.. and when someone replies'
you'll get a home email notification..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Jiffymouse on October 10, 2005 07:29 AM
chicken wire is what chicken coops are made from. it can be bought in any hardware or lawn & garden center. you can also use hardware cloth, but chicken wire is cheaper. if you go to somewhere like lowe's or home depot, to the fencing/garden section, and ask, they can show you what chicken wire is. i got a roll for about $15, and have been using it over a year, and still have some left. it will cut very easily with wire snips.
by cinta on October 10, 2005 07:54 AM
WOW Mike I have never seen them do that to grass before. They have Made a nest in my yard with leaves but never tore my grass out.

To answer your question when the babies got big enough they went away. I do not think there is anything you can do for them not to do it again. You might get some bloodmeal. Rabbit do not like the smell and they will go away. But everytime it rains you will have to re-apply. But on the plus side it is good for the soil.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by Jiffymouse on October 10, 2005 10:32 AM
you can usually get animal hair from a pet groomer, if you go in and ask for some. i've heard that human hair works too, but haven't tried that. [dunno]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rabbit breeding on my frontyard| Next thread: Rabbit Foot Fern »
Back to Thread index