The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

What's the best way to root a cutting from a Christmas Cactus?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by AmyC on May 10, 2006 06:25 AM
I have a nice Christmas Cactus that needs to be re-shaped, so I was going to trim some of the 'branches' and use them to start some smaller plants. Also thinking these might make nice teacher Christmas gifts later this year. Anyway, what is the best way to root the cutting? In water or should I put it in moist soil? Thanks!
by joclyn on May 10, 2006 07:16 AM
i've always done them in water.
by Rosepetal on May 10, 2006 11:16 AM
Hi Amy

Welcome to the forum.

You've got a great idea! Best time to root plants is spring time so go for it.
My Christmas cactus had a bad fall 2 years ago, broke off quite a few branches today it's back to what it was. But it didn't bloom for a whole year. Normal I was told. Good luck.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by gardeningmomma on May 10, 2006 01:15 PM
Do you support them at all in water?
by Jiffymouse on May 10, 2006 01:50 PM
i just do mine in moist soil. works well for me.
by joclyn on May 10, 2006 02:03 PM
i tend to match the size of the rooting container to the size of whatever i'm trying to root.

i use all different things (in all different sizes) to do rootings in. vases, ceramic pots, old glasses and coffee mugs...pretty much anything that will hold water!

particularly small cuttings go in shot glasses. long pieces like wandering jew go in large vases.
by AmyC on May 10, 2006 03:30 PM
Good deal, I have plenty, maybe I'll try a couple in water and a couple in soil and see how they turn out, I appreciate the help-thanks!
by gardeningmomma on May 12, 2006 12:43 AM
I use all sorts of things here too! Drives my hubby nuts [nutz]
by dodge on May 13, 2006 11:36 AM
I have tried water and they rotted.. So I just stuck them in potting soil, and viola......never lost one.
Easy rooters, and dont require any speacial soil.

Cant beat that one.
[clappy] [clappy] [clappy]
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by hjolicoeur on May 13, 2006 01:11 PM
I started a bunch of them in water from clippings from a friend. Mine rooted fine, put them in a pot and only 1 is growing a new leaf.

Any ideas?

~Heidi
by gardeningmomma on May 13, 2006 02:21 PM
If I understand correctly they are slow growers. Anyone agree? Disagree?

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: