The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Why didn't my little Calla make a flower this year?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Patty S on October 06, 2005 01:01 PM
 -
Last year the prettiest little lavender Calla Lily popped up in my front garden, & later it developed a couple seed pods. I planted some of those seeds this spring & got several new plants. (Of course, they were too little to make flowers, but I'm hoping they'll do that next year.) Meanwhile, the Mommy plant came up again this year, but didn't give me any flowers & I'm wondering why.

It hardly ever snows here & when it does it's only a skiff & never sticks. Likewise, it hardly ever freezes & when it does it only does it for about 20 minutes, so people around here never bring bulbs in for the winter! ...I'm assuming that Calla Lilies make bulbs...(?) Since it didn't bloom this year, I'm wondering if it needs to be dug up to "rest" after it dies back, or if it needs to be thinned out or something like that.

(Or, maybe when it made seed pods last year, that meant it doesn't want to make flowers anymore, & its "done"?)
 - I wouldn't like to think that plants go into menopause!!!  -
Can I make it bloom again?

-
 -
by mike57 on October 06, 2005 08:25 PM
[wayey] HI Patty S you might need to Feed lightly with a 20-20-20 or similar fertilizer solution every other week for them to bloom if your haveing trouble with them. Calla lilies grow from rhizomes.They can be planted in the ground but appear to do better in a container where you can better control the water.
Plant them in a medium to large sized container filled with potting soil. Sink the rhizomes an inch or two deep in the soil. Then moisten the planted container until water runs from the bottom. Set the pot in a saucer and allow the excess water to collect and be available for plant use. Part of the secret to calla care is to be keeping the growing plants moist.
Following are a few more tips to help care for callas started from rhizomes or purchased as flowering plants.
Grow the plants with morning sun and afternoon shade or a full day of filtered sun.
Water when the surface of the soil just begins to dry.
Feed with a 20-20-20 or similar fertilizer solution every other week or so.and Protect them from winds that could damage the foliage and blooms.
Most calla lilies bloom in 8 to 10 weeks from the planted rhizomes. Some may need two years of culture to produce their first flowers.The blooms and foliage usually will decline by early summer.Keep the rhizomes in their containers and on the dry side until ready to grow again during the fall and winter months.hope this helps your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by Patty S on October 06, 2005 11:45 PM
Mike, by "Keep the rhizomes in their containers and on the dry side until ready to grow again during the fall and winter months" are you saying that they'll bloom again in the winter?

The various lilies I have here seemed to do just fine in the front garden (morning sun), & I really don't have a place for container gardening, so I think I want to leave them there. (Unless I can get them to bloom in the winter, in containers indoors!)
Thanx for all the info! [thumb]

-
 -
by mike57 on October 07, 2005 12:59 PM
[wayey] HI Patty S. I gave you directions on growing them in containers they just appear to grow best that way.For out door gardening just them leave them in the ground make sure to fertilize them with a good 20-20-20 fertilizer this will insure healthy growth and make sure they will bloom for you.in container gardening by putting them indoors just gives them a time to go dormant and is how to over winter them in cold climates.but some variatys can bloom or re bloom in doors under the right conditions.but if you do not have room to do that just let them be.but next year fertilize them with a good 20-20-20 fertilizer at the start of the growing season to insure they will grow healthy and bloom for you.and you are very welcome for the information! on them.your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: