The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Is this plant a Dutchman's Pipe or what/

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by dodge on May 07, 2006 10:09 AM
[kitty]
Hi, does anyone know if this houseplant is a Dutchman's pipe? It got me thinking , when I read of the other one an seen the photos?

Appreciate your thoughts. [clappy] [clappy]

Thanks

dodge [Love]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by goodmorningamerica2006 on May 08, 2006 04:56 AM
This is quoted from epiuniverse.com, and it says it all. I don't see a picture on this thread, but here's a good description:

"It is most likely, that the plant you have, that you call "Night Blooming Cereus", is actually Epiphyllum oxypetalum. Oxypetalum is easily identified by its unique bloom. While the bud is forming, it grows pointing downward. A few days before it blooms, the bud starts to point upward. When it finally blooms, the tube resembles a "Dutchman's Pipe". This is also one of the names used for this plant. The flower is about 5- 8 inches in diameter, very white, and very fragrant. The bud opens around 10 PM and dies around 8 AM the following morning.

The growth is also unique. The stems start out either from an aureole of an existing stem or at the end of a long tubular growth that is very sturdy and can be as long as 4'. The stems are very flat, not thick, and have a slight wavy appearance to them. The aureoles are not symmetrical from one side of the stem to the other. They have a 'step' look to them in that an aureole on one side lies between two aureoles on the opposite site. It's hard to describe, but easy to recognize if you see it."

So, if this sounds like your epiphyllum, it probably is.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: