The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Newbie with a question about seperating jade & philodendron plants..pics...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by AmyC on May 06, 2006 06:44 AM
Hey there!
Was searching through google about philodendrons and found you guys. I have a split leaf philo that I received when my 6 year old was born. It was a tiny little thing and now it's a monster. I think I can split it as it is 2 separate plants, but could I plant one of them outside? We live in the Atlanta area which is zone 8. The research I have done says 9-11 is good for them. But I have seen them planted down here. Do you think they dig them up or do they just plant them as annuals? If it wasn't a gift for my little ones birth I wouldn't be uptight about it, but it has sentimental value, you know?
Here is a couple of pics, it was out in the rain, pardon the beaten down look. [Smile]
 -

-

Also I have a jade plant that is getting too big for it's pot. How hard are they to separate? It has lots of separate 'stalks' , so I am assuming I can just break it apart and re-plant, right? Or should I just re=pot the whole thing?
The jade plant~
 -
Thanks!
by joclyn on May 07, 2006 06:28 AM
can't help you with the phil...

that jade plant is GORGEOUS!!!!

you can prune off the branches that are too long and plop them in another pot and they'll root. the two on the left that are curving down and the long one on the bottom right and the one curving down just to the left of it. oh, and that one on the bottom right in the back.

i'd say the rest of it should be left as is...it could use a bit bigger pot tho - just don't go too big.
by AmyC on May 08, 2006 09:33 AM
Thanks for the help! I talked to a Nursery about the phil and she said nope, not unless I want to dig it up when it gets cold. It's fine, I'll just split and repot them.
by AmyC on May 08, 2006 09:35 AM
OKay, wait now I have another question... So I just trim them from the branch and plop them right into the potting mix? Geez, I was going to try to seperate the individual stalks that are coming out of the dirt. So more of a pruning right and not so much of a splitting?
by joclyn on May 08, 2006 03:49 PM
yup, just cut off the end and plop it in some soil! if that main plant wasn't already filling the pot, i'd say just put the cuttings right next to it...

well, you COULD split out the stalks. you're still going to need to do some pruning tho, so i'd say, leave the main plant as is and put the pruned pieces in a new pot.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: