The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hoya

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Hows Everyones brugmansias!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!| Next thread: Hoya »
Back to Thread index
by Phil and Laura on January 06, 2004 03:17 PM
Ok I am going to try to sneak one in here without Laura catching me [grin] She has a hoya that hasn't put on flowers, any suggestions? [flower]
by Will Creed on January 07, 2004 03:47 AM
Phil,

To bloom, Hoyas must have a lot of bright indirect light all day and a few hours of direct light, as well. In addition, keep it potbound and on the dry side and don't change its location. Disturb it as little as possible. Do NOT use a high nitrogen fertilizer.

Also be sure not to cut off the flowering spurs. After flowers are spent, do not remove the flower stalk because that is where new flowers will emerge the following year.

Be careful not to overfertilize, especially during the semi-dormant winter period. Overfeeding causes bud drop.
by Phil and Laura on January 08, 2004 04:51 AM
Thanks Will, I will tell Laura the source of my new found knowledge, all is well except it is in a pot with no drainage, and maybe now she will believe meLOL [gabby]
by Phil and Laura on January 09, 2004 06:24 PM
[Big Grin] HA...I CAUGHT HIM !!!! IT IS TRUE MY POOR LITTLE PLANT HASNT GIVEN ME FLOWERS FOR QUITE SOME TIME.. IT IS IN A CERMAIC MUG WITH NO DRAINAGE..BUT IT SHOULD BE ROOT BOUND. IS THERE A TIME WHEN I SHOULD TRANSPLANT IT?? [dunno] THANKS ...LAURA
by lizheaemma on January 10, 2004 01:25 AM
You can repot it anytime, but I think that spring is best! If you put it into a bigger pot I think that you may end up waiting even longer for flowers, with the added room your plant will concentrate on root growth, not flower growth! One way that might help it flower is to hold off on the water a little longer them you normally might! My boss would say "Make that little bugger think it going to die and must flower and seed" Just don't let it get wilty!

Hope that this is of some help!
by Will Creed on January 10, 2004 04:31 AM
Laura,

Don't wait. Get it into a pot that has drainage holes as soon as possible. Look for a pot that is as close to the same size as possible. The less soil you have to add, the better it will be. If it is rootbound, that is a good thing and does not warrant moving to a larger pot.
by Phil and Laura on January 10, 2004 03:58 PM
thanks for the responses...my next ??? is what kind of pot is best ??? clay ??? i would really like it to flower for me. why are the flowers so sticky ??? i also have a large corn plant that is brown on the edges...what to do with that ??? does that also need to be re-potted ??? i just moved here so maybe the move was rough on the plants...also a new violet with a ton of flowers on it..where would be the best place to put it as i would like to be able to see it as often as possible... [gabby] thanks again laura
by Will Creed on January 11, 2004 04:23 AM
Laura,

A pot that most closely matches the size and shape of the existing pot is the best one. Otherwise use a clay pot if it sits on a table or sill or a plastic pot if you intend to hang it.

The aroma, color, and stickiness of flowers have all evolved over the eons to assist plants in getting pollinated. That is their key to survival. However, if you are finding stickiness on leaf surfaces and underneath the plant, then your Hoya may have a scale infesttaion. If so, let me know.

Brown edges on corn plants can be caused by many things, including hard water, soil getting too dry, too much fertilizer, and roots coming out of the drainage holes. If there is a mass of roots at the bottom of the pot, cut them off, add an inch or so of fresh soil to the bottom of the pot, and put the plant back in.

Keep your AV close to a north-facing window for best results.
by Aurorastreams on January 18, 2004 12:11 AM
I have a huge hoya plant, it almost covers my front bay windows, and it has a heavenly scent in the summer, how root bound do the like to get? I have had this one for a few years now, it never moves, and as I live in the land of the midnight sun, it gets plenty of light in the summer/fall.

Aurorastreams

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hows Everyones brugmansias!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!| Next thread: Hoya »
Back to Thread index