The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

African Violets Where should I start

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Rosepetal on May 05, 2006 08:54 AM
There are some pretty informed gardeners on the forum that work with african violets. Can you help me. [dunno]
I would like to buy some and I don't know which is best. I have a counter in my house that faces a south window but does not get direct sunlight hitting it ever during the day.
Is this a good spot to place an african violet?
I've tried these plants years ago when I lived in another house and did not have any success with them, but I like to try again. What are your best tips. [gabby]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by joclyn on May 05, 2006 09:18 AM
i've got a plant stand with a light now...so proper natural light isn't an issue for me any longer.

when i was in my apartment, i had the av's in a west facing window that got direct light only in the late afternoon and they did excellent...i'd never had any av's that actually bloomed before that!

the south window might be okay, not sure tho.

is there any way you could set up a small table lamp with a flurescent bulb (grow light) and put it on a timer? or is there another spot that might have better light?
by Rosepetal on May 05, 2006 09:46 AM
I don't really know if that's possible for me. I've got a forest of other plants everywhere else, but I'd love to try my hand on AV's, and that's about the only spot I know right now. This window get bright sunshine, but my counter is across the room.

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.
by loz on May 05, 2006 10:31 AM
Heck, in the winter I have to move my AV's out of the windowsill because of the draft....I put them under regular house lamps and they do great....they flower and everything even without the bright light! [flower]

Barleychown/Sarah might come through here and see this....she's our resident AV expert! [thumb]
by barleychown on May 05, 2006 03:47 PM
I would think that the counter would be okay. hold your hand about the counter. If your shadow is not clearly defined, AV's will be okay.

I would start with one or two and practice with them...only water from the bottom, do not over fertilize, keep them clean, and do not fuss with them too much.

They are easier than they seem. [grin]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by Rosepetal on May 05, 2006 04:12 PM
Hey, that sounds simple enough, I'm going to go for it. My counter looks ok [Cool]
Where is the best place to get them, Walmart or should I go to a greenhouse? [dunno]
Thanks for the info' [Wink]

-
 -
by barleychown on May 05, 2006 06:18 PM
The ones from walmart will be okay as guinea pigs...once you get the hang of them I will tempt you over to the dark side ---- named violets. [grin]

-
 -

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.
by joclyn on May 06, 2006 05:34 AM
walmart, lowes, home depot, sears hardware - any will be okay for av's.

i strongly recommend an african violet pot!!!! they are made specifically with av's in mind...the plant is put in the dirt in the unglazed ceramic pot and that is inserted into a larger pot (that IS glazed) that hold the water. the water is absorbed through the unglazed pot and the plant gets just what it needs.

once i started using these types of pots for the av's they did MUCH better and you could see the difference within 2 days!!
by Rosepetal on May 06, 2006 12:32 PM
Hey thanks for all the info'. [Smile] Appreciate it lots. [thumb]

-
 -
by kirsten on May 07, 2006 06:21 AM
hi i am new here and i love av...thanks for all the great tips and info.... [flower] [thumb]
by dodge on May 07, 2006 06:53 AM
Rosepetal,
or anyone else......I have violets in the south window..However the porch room keeps direct sun out mostly......I had about 15 last fall and winter....slowly half died and half lived.. I was lead to belive it was a virus..
I did everything I was suppose to..
proves nothing to me......The ones who survived, are blooming right now in zone 5.. Inside, and doing great....
Still dont know why some do and some dont.. Most were given to me.....
I will see if I can get a photo for you to see.

dodge [flower] [flower] [flower]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by dodge on May 07, 2006 07:41 AM
Here are mine .....right now. violets..

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=42027359/PictureID=1226899030/a=29677064_29677064/t_=29677064

see for yourself..

dodge [wavey] [wavey]

-
 -
by joclyn on May 07, 2006 08:26 AM
dodge, i REALLY like that pink one!!!! your purple's look like the bunch i have...
by dodge on May 07, 2006 09:17 AM
joclyn,

Thanks,
Like I say.....these are growing great.. Others just up an die..Yes the pinkie is a neato. You would be suprised how many different violets there are out there.. I will try to find the site that carrys it.

I had one for 15 years in a margarine tub, with regular soil....East window, never did a thing to it .
Now I luck runs dry..

dodge [dunno] [dunno]

-
 -
by Rosepetal on May 08, 2006 08:58 AM
All these Av growers are making me wanting to start soon. I'm going to do as most of you suggest. Will let you know how it goes.
Thanks lots!!!!! [Smile]

-
 -
by dodge on May 08, 2006 09:48 AM
rosepetal

agood luck.........

dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: