The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Jade experiment / Flat, wrinkled leaves

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Jade Emergency| Next thread: jade gangrene »
Back to Thread index
by Amany on May 02, 2006 08:11 AM
Hello All.

Almost two months ago I was given a jade branch. It was probably 7 inches in length and 8 inches in width.

I had it potted but I accidentally knocked the the pot off the stand it was on while playing with my nephew. It broke into 4 pieces.

Not willing to concede defeat, I decided to experiment. I wanted to see what jade propagation method would work best for me.

I stuck two in water and potted them in dry cactus / succulent soil when they formed quarter inch roots (took about a week).

Meanwhile I'd let the other two stems callous during that week. Then I potted one in moist soil. I potted the other in dry soil and placed it inside of a sealed ziplock bag (to retain humidity). I then left all three pots alone for roughly three weeks.

They all formed soil roots. Fantastic! After the three weeks of leaving them alone, I watered them. Since then two and a half more weeks have passed. One of the stems is forming air roots, two of the others have the tiny beginnings of new leaves. But here's the thing: The original leaves on ALL the stems are flat and slighly wrinkled. They are not falling off. They are not discolored either.

I have been assuming that they will plump up when the stems form more mature roots and are able to deliver moisture to them. I'm beginning to wonder if my assumption is correct though. Does anyone have any input?
by tkhooper on May 06, 2006 12:59 AM
they wrinkle up and die in my experience but by the time they do the new leaves will have a good start that the plant will do fine.

-
 -
by Amany on May 08, 2006 03:07 PM
I had no idea that the leaves eventually die.
Thanks so much for answering! [kissies]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Jade Emergency| Next thread: jade gangrene »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: