The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

jade with roots on branches??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by evie on December 31, 2003 06:21 PM
I have several great jade plants that have somehow managed to survive my neglect! I am wondering what the roots or hairs are that hang from the branches. Is it trying to tell me that it wants more room.
by catlover on December 31, 2003 07:07 PM
Welcome To The Garden Helper Evie [wayey]

I have a couple Jades that live outside but have never run into this kinda of case before....there should be somebody by shortly.....It is holiday season so some are off doing there thing but hold on somebody will be by to help! You may get a lot more than one answer so come back periodically to check!

[kitty] Catlover [kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by Jiffymouse on December 31, 2003 07:36 PM
evie, if your jade has roots or "hair" on the branches, all that indicates is that if you were to put soil near them, they would root and become new plants. If you cut off one of the branches just below the roots, you can put in directly into a pot and it will grow. I wouldn't repot the mother plant due to the roots, we have one in the office across the hall that is 8 years old (or older) and every limb has those hairs...
by weezie13 on December 31, 2003 09:06 PM
Hey Evie,
Jiffy's right on the money with that info!!!!! [thumb] [thumb]
The only other tid bit of info I'd offer
is the individual leaflets also do the
same thing, if one falls off,
or you gentley pull it off it will also
grow from the base of bottom of the jade's leaf..
A very easy plant to grow...
Also, to my understanding, Jade's really like to be root bound so leave the momma there like Jiffy said....
Will Creed comes through from time to time and he may be able to offer additional information about them to help your further...???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by evie on January 06, 2004 07:37 AM
Thanks for the help!!
My two daughters and I just spent a nice evening playing in cactus dirt and potting some of the babies. They just finished a beginning college horticulture class, so their enthusiasm is high.
I have a feeling that we should have waited until spring (it's -5 now!).

Does anyone know if we should keep the roots wet until they start growing??

Thanks,
Evie
by Jiffymouse on January 06, 2004 05:24 PM
evie, treat it like the adults. water when dry, otherwise, leave it alone and enjoy it!
by evie on January 08, 2004 07:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jiffymouse:
evie, treat it like the adults. water when dry, otherwise, leave it alone and enjoy it!
Thanks for jade help.

Should I close a topic when I feel that I have the answer? That is, if I was the one that opened it.

Evie
by Jiffymouse on January 08, 2004 07:32 PM
evie, i wouldn't, just because a lot of times, others will see a topic they need more information on and add to the original question.
also, i am not sure if members can close a topic anyway.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: