The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need help to pick out houseplants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by tamara on December 28, 2003 09:24 PM
I want a ficus for my entrance and need some info, i already have an ivy growing great in the bathroom, but I want some ideas for an easy plant or two to brighten up my home. I face north and northwest for my windows except for the ficus it will receive sun fron the south. Help please.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by lizheaemma on December 28, 2003 09:48 PM
An entrance way can be a very drafty place exspecially in canada! I'm thinking that anything like a fig would be very unhappy there!
My suggestion would to be to go with something that in close to out climate how about a potted evergreen? I bet you vcould find something for a very good price it being just after christmas! I'v seen some nice ones but can't put plants on the floor yet as my little dirt diggers (kids) just can't seem to help themselves!

Hope this is of some help! I'm sure that others will have more idea's soon!
by TomR on December 29, 2003 10:40 PM
I wouldn't put any plant near entrances where you are this time of year, it's just way too cold. As far as protected areas you could get:

Chinese evergreen
Pothos
Ficus
ZZ plant

Just to name a few

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by Will Creed on January 01, 2004 07:13 PM
Light is the most important consideration in selecting indoor plants. The amount of light avaialable to a plant varies a great deal depending on the direction the window faces and the distance the plant is from the window. A north window will provide bright indirect light to a plant placed on the windowsill. However, a plant placed six feet or more away from that same will be in minimally low light. Thus, the precise location relative to the light source is very important.

Temeperature is another consideration. Most indoor plants are OK in temps as low as 55 to 60 degrees F. However, some are vulnerable to drafts of very cold air.
by tamara on January 04, 2004 03:56 AM
Thanks, think I'll try the fig, now only if I can find it.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: