The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rooting Rubber Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by NewtothePot on April 27, 2006 03:29 PM
I saw the other Rubber Plant post, but since I am trying to start one, I didn't think it appropriate to post in a sick plant post.
I have finally gotten my friend to give me a small branch (its actually not that small, but...) from his rubber plant. He's not really a big fan of giving parts, so I want to get this one rooted good! How would I get a cutting to root? I have it in water right now, because all my others root well in water. I don't really have access to rooting hormone or special soil (peat moss, etc), so I would prefer something simple. Is water all right, or do I need something else? Thanks!
by joclyn on April 27, 2006 05:59 PM
i don't have any idea about how to root a rubber plant - i'm curious tho as i'd like to split the one i have out...

rooting hormone is easy enough to get...i just got some at Lowe's and i'm sure that Home Depot would have some, too. wasn't even that expensive, either - just a few bucks!
by NewtothePot on April 27, 2006 11:48 PM
Thanks, I'll have to see about swinging by and picking some up. I would like to multiply my plants, and rooting hormone seems like the way to go.
by Andi on April 28, 2006 02:00 AM
I've never heard of rooting one but if I was going to try and root one using rooting hormone would be the way to go. The only way I've had success with propagating rubber tree plants is by air layering. Interested in how you make out. Keep us posted.
by NewtothePot on April 28, 2006 09:19 AM
I will. I hope it works out, I've always been interested in having my own rubber plant.
by Jiffymouse on April 28, 2006 01:51 PM
all i ever do is cut the top off, and stick it in potting soil and water it as if it were already rooted. they are one of the easiest to grow. just water when the soil starts to dry!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: