The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

a good plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: a good info site| Next thread: A lettuce question »
Back to Thread index
by Ross on April 25, 2006 06:47 AM
i am selling plants at car boot sales but i would like a plant that repurduces lots so i can sell more.

i have already got spider plant,money plant,mexican hat plant, they are good but i would like something different so someone out there please help. [thumb] [thumb]

thanks

ross
by tkhooper on April 25, 2006 09:08 AM
Columbines produce about 75 seeds per seedpod and there is a seedpod for each flower produced. So if you can do the fall or winter sow you should have plenty from very modest starts. Also the columbine mutates easily so each year you'll have different color combinations to sell.

Miniature Snapdragons produce about 25 seeds per seedpod but I found them more difficult to harvest but then I'm sure some of that was my inexperience and impatience. I picked many before they were dry. These bloom both spring and fall so you should have a bountful havest.

sunflowers produce a massive amount of seeds as long as you are willing to net the plants so the birds don't get to the seeds first.

Zinnias also produce a boat load of seeds per flower head. Again my problem with these is that I got alittle impatient to harvest them and started to soon. This decreased the number of seeds that germinated dramatically.

Miniature roses produce about 25 seeds per rose hip but I haven't tried growing them yet. It's suppose to take close to 4 months or more for them to sprout so this might not be worth it.

Malva are also said to have generous seed production and I was able to start mine indoors and they did very well.

-
 -
by joclyn on April 26, 2006 07:08 AM
wandering jew, purple passion and any other viney type of plant can be rooted very easily from cuttings.
by Ross on April 27, 2006 07:00 AM
ok guys thanks i try and see if i see 1

ross
by Ross on April 27, 2006 07:08 AM
can you name a plant that will sell well

ross
by Homestead on April 28, 2006 04:50 PM
Do you have access to edible fig trees? The cuttings root very very easily over the winter, and people like to buy them. I have sold several at garage sales.
by tkhooper on April 29, 2006 07:25 AM
Marigolds, Mums, Jade, Spiderplants, polkadot plant, roses both miniature and standard and trees and just about any rose you can name except the single bloom varieties. Orchids.

-
 -
by Mrs.Spud on April 30, 2006 02:53 AM
what about geranium?

Mrs.Spud: Idaho Mom
by tkhooper on April 30, 2006 06:28 AM
Definitely geraniums especially the double bloom varieties.

-
 -
by Tonya on May 02, 2006 05:45 PM
Pothos- It roots well in water and is easy as all get out to keep alive! Sells like hotcakes here at the beach!

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by rucrazy on May 04, 2006 03:18 PM
Another good plant to grow is african violets I can't seem to stop growing them. I have one big mama plant and I keep on snipping the older leaves and rooting them. It's fun to watch them grow that way.
I've also had luck with marygolds and zinnias. there is another plant that is very easy to grow but I don't know what it is. I need to find out what columbines are. The name alone is so pretty.
Is there much money in growing and selling plants?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: a good info site| Next thread: A lettuce question »
Back to Thread index