The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

money tree plant unhappy -- please help!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: money tree loses its leaves| Next thread: Money Tree Question »
Back to Thread index
by LaurieDutch on April 24, 2006 07:59 AM
Hi,

I'm new here and have read through a few helpful threads about money tree plants. I got mine as a gift last November. The nursery transplanted it, so I don't know what size the original pot was. The plant has never been very happy here. It has three lovely braided trunks.

Several of the leaves are turning yellow; they are at various stages of turning yellow so that a few are yellow and others are starting to turn yellow by getting brown spots then turning yellow. A few of the green bunches of leaves at the top are drooping. Watering day doesn't perk them up.

I have been careful to avoid overwatering. I water once a week and by the time I water it, the soil at the top has pulled back from the edges a bit.

I read that these plants like lots of bright indirect light, but I don't think I've found a happy location for the plant yet. I'm in Colorado where it's very sunny. It didn't like our NW bay window, so I moved it away from all direct light across the room for the rest of winter. It perked up a bit there but recently has gone back to looking unhappy. Today I moved the plant to a north-facing window.

In mid-summer, the plant will get some direct sunlight; should I close the blind in the afternoon to avoid the plant from being in direct sunlight?

Do these plants like humidity, and if so, should I spray the leaves once in a while since it's so bone dry here in Colorado?

Will a cool breeze from the window bother the plant? I usually open the north-facing window at night on hot days.

Do money trees like/need any plant food or something like Miracid once a year or more often?

Any and all advice on how to cheer up the plant is welcome. Thanks.

LaurieDutch
by dodge on April 24, 2006 09:49 AM
Laurie

Not sure what money plant you have..Braided/

[perplexed]

I have a money plant which is a perennial..It was out all winter and right now, is ready to bloom.....I will show you after it blooms. Mine is an outdoor plant that comes back each year.. Only first winter for it ..Maybe it is silver dollar plant?

DId you read what type it was/

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Stupe on April 24, 2006 06:04 PM
it's the pachira she is talking about.

the braided part is the tree itself.

i think it's turning yellow due to insufficient lights.

mine had the same thing and i moved it to somewhere brighter and it couldn't be happier.
;-)

just re-potted it to a larget pot to let it grow furhter.

Stupe
by Ross on April 24, 2006 07:35 PM
i have a money plant it grows really well with a lot of sunlight so i water every morning if a leaf comes off then lay on the soil and it should grow into a new money plant. also little branches sometimes fall off it you put that in the soil that will also grow into a new plant.

ross
by LaurieDutch on April 26, 2006 06:22 AM
Yes, it's a pachira.

Ross, does you plant get direct sun through the window everyday, or do you mean it gets indirect sun through the window. Thanks.

LaurieDutch
by msgvb on May 13, 2006 01:10 PM
yes, I'm curious about this as well, since I have several of these little guys and two are exhibiting the same problem as Laurie's.

I'd also like some information on pruning or leaf trimming.

one of the ones I have has ridiculously large leaves for the trunk size. I'm wondering if it's because it wasn't getting enough light.

also wondering what will happen if I leaf trim by half. will the tree spawn new smaller leaves to make up the difference?

msg ::novice houseplant taker-care-of-er::
underexposed.org
flickr.com - msgvb

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: money tree loses its leaves| Next thread: Money Tree Question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: