The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Purple Passion Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Purple passion plant| Next thread: purple passion plant »
Back to Thread index
by beginner_gardner_jmh2911 on April 24, 2006 03:28 AM
I just bought a houseplant from a greenhouse. The clerk said it is called a "purple passion". But anywhere I search on the internet shows a complete different plant. The one I purchased has narrow, pointed leaves, purple of course, and has small pink blooms. Does anyone out there have one of these and do you have any pointers?

Jeremiah 29:11
by tkhooper on April 24, 2006 06:12 AM
If you put in purple passion on the google here for a search specific to this site you will see the plant that I have and all the directions you need for taking care of it. But from everything I've read it has an orange flower that you wouldn't want to be around because of the smell. The one I have is a vine and anywhere it loses a leaf it creates a new branch so it is getting pretty full. It likes to be kept moist and it like a good fertilizer. Although mine does without because I don't want it overgrowing the apartment.

-
 -
by gomerp618 on April 24, 2006 09:13 AM
Could it be the one they call purple queen?? I got one before that had long narrow leaves and the eBayer I got it from called it a purple queen. They do get pink flowers. Unfortunately my cats got ahold of the cuttings I had and I never did get to do anything with it.

I do have the purple vine one, or passion vine as I've seen it called and that does have the orange stinky flowers. I bought them on clearance at the local plant retailer after halloween when they wrapped them in orange paper, played up on the orange flowers and called them bat plants.. must not have sold many, I walked out with 6 of them for about $6

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by beginner_gardner_jmh2911 on April 24, 2006 02:53 PM
It is the purple queen! I entered that particular title in the google search and found lots of info at this site
Purple Heart, Purple Queen (Tradescantia pallida)
is the actual name. This is what it look like, except it is in a pot. Thank you, gomerp618!

by Jiffymouse on April 24, 2006 03:14 PM
i hope this works, the picture is from texas a&m university's agriculture site

-
by Jiffymouse on April 24, 2006 03:18 PM
i have some of this and it is great, but if you grow in indoors (and that can be done) it will get fuzzy (i learned that the hard way). outside, it will go dormant during the cold months, but will come back here in zones 8-9
by beginner_gardner_jmh2911 on April 24, 2006 04:56 PM
That picture is EXACTLY what I have. It will never survive outside in WVa. I have it in a big clay pot.

Thanks to everone--this site is great! [clappy]

by joclyn on April 24, 2006 06:21 PM
that is one very cool looking plant!! i just love anything that's purple! gonna have to find one of these somewhere around here - i've never seen it, but having the name might help!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Purple passion plant| Next thread: purple passion plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: