The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

is there a difference?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Tulip on April 24, 2006 01:13 AM
Well my avocado pit has finally sprouted and I should plant it in some soil soon.. I also think I need to repot at least one of my other plants. I was just wondering if there is a big difference between the different types of soil? Or if someone can suggest a gooder?

~Tulip~
by tkhooper on April 24, 2006 01:44 AM
I think there are differences but I'm just a beginner. I've tried getting cheap a couple of times and been very disappointed. Now I get miracle gro. That way I know what I'm getting. Unless of course if is a succulent which requires cactus potting soil. Or aquatic that requires that kind or something else of that sort. But for most of the plants that I grow I use miracle gro.

-
 -
by margaret e. pell on April 24, 2006 03:59 AM
And I always use an organic potting soil without added fertilizers. I add drainage material for the succulents, leaf mould I sift from under the trees in the woods behind my house for the cyclamen and philodendron, ... You're going to get lots of differing answers on this! Look for common themes, like succ's need fast draining soil, tropicals need something that can maintain a more even moisture content, fertilizers can be built in or added, not both. Think where your plant lives in nature, you're trying to mimic those conditions.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Jiffymouse on April 24, 2006 02:48 PM
basically, the differences are due to the needs of the different plants. rich dark soil for some, sandy light soil for others, moisture holding soill for still more. but, if you are careful, you can use a general "all purpose" mix and then add to it as needed.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: