The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Propagation Prohibited???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by gardeningmomma on April 17, 2006 07:10 AM
The label with my Christmas Cactus says Propagation Prohibited. Does this mean that I'm not allowed to take cuttings? How will someone know? And will it effect the quality of my cuttings?
Thanks.
by Deborah L. on April 17, 2006 07:19 AM
I've always wondered about that too. I think it means we can't take cuttings, grow plants from them, and sell them for profit, BUT I'm not sure.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 18, 2006 05:42 AM
technically, the only propagation you can do on plants that are marked that way are by pollination. (something that "might" occur any way)

but, with any plant that will "drop" it's leaves and start babies from the dropped leaves, the only way to prevent propagation would be to destroy the dropped leaves.

now, do you have a legal responsibility to do that? no. can you sell the babies that are dropped? NO. can you divide your plant to make it more suitable for you? yes.

but you can't sell the divisions or babies, and i wouldn't "label" them with the patented name if you give away a start.

plant developers spend years and major $$$ on their plants, and while potting up a baby isn't wrong, flooding (or potentially flooding) the market with the plants is.

does this help?
by gardeningmomma on April 18, 2006 09:05 AM
Thanks, that helps alot. My friend wanted some cuttings for a trade she's doing. I guess I'll just take some cuttings from my other Christmas cactus.
Thanks for the info!
Gail
by Wrennie on April 18, 2006 07:04 PM
I would think that sort of prohibition would be very hard to enforce on the 'give a cutting away to a friend', scale.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Amigatec on April 18, 2006 11:57 PM
This is mostly to protect the patient owners rights.

I have some Blackberry plants I plan to propagate, for personnal use.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by Jiffymouse on April 19, 2006 12:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by gardeningmomma:
Thanks, that helps alot. My friend wanted some cuttings for a trade she's doing. I guess I'll just take some cuttings from my other Christmas cactus.
Thanks for the info!
Gail

[thumb] smart move [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: