The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Chinese lantern???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by hisgal2 on December 01, 2004 05:58 PM
I think that's what it's called...or is it a Japanese lantern?? [dunno] Anyways, I have a bunch of them in the back and they've dried out and in the lanterns are the seeds....right? Do I just harvest them??? Or do I wait until they dry out? Because right now they are a little spongey feeling. I want to save the seeds to plant some in the terraces that I make in the front.

-
 -

-
by Cricket on December 02, 2004 06:12 AM
Is that the same plant also known as "flowering maple"? Do you have a pic?
by Bill on December 02, 2004 07:48 AM
Is this it?
 -

Chinese Lantern plant (Physalis alkekengi)

The small seeds must be removed from the cherry inside the lantern, then cleaned and allowed to dry. The seeds should be sown where they will be grown, in Spring or early Summer. The seeds require light for germination (25 days), so don't cover them!

More Chinese Lantern Info....

-
by weezie13 on December 02, 2004 03:11 PM
Jenn,
Those things are very prolific...
I can't tell you really anything exactly about the seeds, but once you plant the Chinese Lantern's there's not much you need to do them,
in fact you could go on vacation for 10 years, and come back and you'd have a yard full of them.

If you want to probagate more for another area, just slightly try to tug out the couple of stems you'd like, leaving some of the root, they won't all come out unless your dirt is unbelievable moist and fertile, but the part that's left in will send more shoots up and then the part you ripped off, will root where you put them, as long as there's just a tiny piece of root to the other one... they root along on runners...

We just rip one out and stick it in the ground and they're off!!

I started with about 5 root pieces ripped off in the same manor, my whole back area is engulfed in them... and last year, I noticed a section of my neighbor's yard had a bunch started in them too,
probably the seeds, not sure how they got there though??? [dunno]

Weezie

P.S. I should say about the seeds too, that when mine are done doing what they do, I don't do a thing to them, they lay over on their sides from fall and winter, and they lay on top of the dirt/soil and just sprout... I haven't touched mine since I put them in, not water, not fertilizer, not a thing, and they've multipied, 100 fold!!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by afgreyparrot on December 02, 2004 04:55 PM
I have something that looks exactly like this that grew near my bird bath this summer. Except, mine had yellow lanterns.
Someone told me it was poisonous to birds, so I pulled it all up and threw it away. [dunno]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by hisgal2 on December 03, 2004 05:25 AM
Bill~ yeah! That's what it is! [Smile] Thanks for the info!

Weezie~ these were already in the garden and I haven't done anything with them either. I love them. My Nanny used to have them in her yard and I used to put the lanterns and float them in the water barrel we had...she, of course, would yell at me for that. [Embarrassed] [Big Grin]

I would just really love them in a different place.

Do I cut these down then for the winter?? Or do I not? I cut them last year because I didn't know what I was doing and didn't know you guys yet!! [Frown] It came back, I think...I can't really remember. Things were soo hectic this summer.

-
 -

-
by weezie13 on December 03, 2004 05:53 AM
I'd leave em for right now,
then come spring, just rip a handful out and put where you want them...

Like I said, if you kinda rip them outta the
ground, and leave half the stem in the ground,
that one will still stay growing and then the
new piece, as long as it's got a tiny bit of
roots on it, it'll grow too...

Just rip, take a stick and make a hole, not too
overly deep, 1" maybe, [dunno] and make sure the root system has contact with the dirt, pat some on top, okay, maybe water once...
But they really are a self sufficient breed.

And my Granny used to have them too in her one garden and along the sides of the stone stems, to hold the bank back....
She would pull them up, and clean off the leaves, and hang the clusters of them up in her back room on big nails... and dry them, and use as an arrangement in the fall time.
She'd give them away, left and right...

We did too here in town to a bunch of the senior volunteers for Meals~on~Wheels...

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum