The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ivy IQ

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Ivy in the tub| Next thread: Ivy or vine-covered indoor wall? »
Back to Thread index
by clr on September 10, 2005 10:11 PM
I am trying to get ivy started growing up the brick on the back of my home. However, there are a porch (first floor) and balcony built across the entire width of the building, so I can't plant the ivy in the ground and instead have it in planters next to the wall. Will this work? Will I eventually be able to remove the planters all together once the ivy is established on the wall or will it always need this soil beneath it? Can it survive outside in the winter (I am in Zone 5) if it is not embedded in the ground? Thanks.
by Jiffymouse on September 11, 2005 06:23 AM
uh, clr, i'd rethink that. ivy is beautiful growing on a wall, but it will do a lot of damage to the masonry. you might want to put a grid of heavy duty fishing line over the masonry and let the ivy climb that instead.
by tamara on September 11, 2005 08:23 PM
Sorry clr, the chances of ivy surviving in a pot would be very rare in zone 5. Ivy needs the soil beneath it. Ivy can also be very invasive and damaging.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by BFVISION on September 16, 2005 07:48 PM
CLR,
Sorry to pile on here. I live in the mountains of Nortern NJ and have trouble with ivy wintering well in the ground. Pots will definitely not support you through the winter. I am struggling trying to grow ivy on a small retaining wall and only now is it back to last years form. The house idea is beautiful but not a good one. I grew ivy once on a few trellises to get the look along the house so I wouldn't let it grow on the house. Ever see a home that removed the ivy, YUK!

BFVISION

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2122269418&mode=guest

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ivy in the tub| Next thread: Ivy or vine-covered indoor wall? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: